I think my brown clown goby is showing ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I caught my flame hawk once by putting a really large net at the bottom and used a syringe to shoot brine shrimp in it once on the bottom. He went for the food and I yanked him up. That was a lucky one though. I usually don't have it that easy.

I'm still kinda nervous about putting him in the QT tank with no sponge from my main tank. I really want some BB in there. I have Stability I can add, but don't want to add a lot of chemicals because I'm going to be medicating him as it is...

It'll take a day or 2 for any BB to even begin to convert waste so if you keep up with daily water changes and siphon out the waste (why barebotton is best) then you won't have any issues with parameters

Ok... I have a new sponge "cooking" in my main tank now. I may give it a couple more days then transfer it, for peace of mind :cool:

UPDATE... So I never actually caught the goby, he's a fast little dude, but I'm keeping an eye on him. We were gone for the day, and when I got home checked him out, and he's starting to look a lot better! But also whaaaaaattt?? What could that discoloration have been? Stress possibly? I had to rearrange my rocks because one of the stacks fell over...? I dunno!

nikki_kaiser said:
:( I don't know too much about Gobys but that does sound a bit strange.

I know right?? What is up with that? I showed
pics to my guy at my LFS, who does service on clients tanks as well, and he basically said to keep an eye on him. He didn't think it was Ich, and he said that it just seemed to be some sort of discoloration... I dunno, guess I'll just chalk it up to "......" and hope he's good in the next few days. It's baffling. But on a positive note, my coral beauty, yellow watchman goby, and pistol shrimp have arrived!! They're being quarantined right now at the LFS (which is a true 3-4 week quarantine- people on this forum jumped to conclusions and said that the QT tanks were on the same system as his other tanks and it wasn't a real QT.. don't know how they knew that without seeing the store lol. But he does hypo treatment at 1.009 for ALL his fish before they're even available to be bought...) I can't wait to bring them home!

That's a smart owner! I bet he gets a lot of repeat business to! Do you think it could be ammonia burns from being exposed to higher levels?

I dont know but great thinking! Never really had a spike from my testing...

nikki_kaiser said:
That's a smart owner! I bet he gets a lot of repeat business to!

yes he does. He's a bit more expensive, but great
Looking fish, they get QT'd, plus all the advice locally I ever need. He even assembled my
Reef octopus free for me :cool:

Benamayer said:
yes he does. He's a bit more expensive, but great
Looking fish, they get QT'd, plus all the advice locally I ever need. He even assembled my
Reef octopus free for me :cool:

For a quality fish store, i would gladly pay the few extra pennies to support him. We need more fish stores like this so we can do away with all the petsmarts, petco's and other chain stores, most of which dont have a clue what they are doing and pass around crappy advice to make more profit.

Schism said:
For a quality fish store, i would gladly pay the few extra pennies to support him. We need more fish stores like this so we can do away with all the petsmarts, petco's and other chain stores, most of which dont have a clue what they are doing and pass around crappy advice to make more profit.

ABSOLUTELY Schism! This guy puts his heart
and soul into a tiny little shop. He's out doing a service routine all day, and then is open during the night from 5-8, and then days on the weekends. Will only do what's best for the customer, it's impressive actually, quite.

Schism said:

+++++1 sadly even the mom and pop shops when begin making money try to replicate the large chain store business plan and lose their quality due to their success... Not saying this is always true but seen it happen all to much, hard to keep a balance I guess : /

Mrc8858 said:
+++++1 sadly even the mom and pop shops when begin making money try to replicate the large chain store business plan and lose their quality due to their success... Not saying this is always true but seen it happen all to much, hard to keep a balance I guess : /

Yeah true, their are those guys too. Its funny because i know a few great fish stores that overcome the money problem by cultivating corals and selling frags. Most big chains wont do this and simply buy wholesale corals and sell them for larger profit.

Aquaculture has little overhead costs and lots of profit and really is were the little guys stand out above the rest. Top quality service and support also get customers coming back over and over. Ive even had fish stores owners give me free stuff because of how much i support them and refer fellow reefers to them. These are the kinda guys you do business with.

Ya that's why if your ever in the Pittsburgh area check out jerrys stock at slipperrockcorals.com great dude and gets amazing stuff imported straight to him so offers great deals ;) ill be visiting him on the 13th hopefully when he gets a massive shipment in haha

Well to get us back on topic... :cool: ill let everyone know how the little guys doin tomorrow! Definitely good chattin about quality LFS tho!

Benamayer said:
Well to get us back on topic... :cool: ill let everyone know how the little guys doin tomorrow! Definitely good chattin about quality LFS tho!

Yeah keep us updated for sure

Back
Top Bottom