I think my lighting was inadequate for this coral and they all closed up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrapeApe

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think my lighting was inadequate for this coral and they all closed up. I just replaced my light will it come back. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393870610.323381.jpg

When did you get the zoas/palys? And how high in the tank are they? What's the flow like? And do you know your parameters?

Sorry for so many questions lol

It's ok my nitrates are a bit high my flow is good I got a bigger protein skimmer to handle the big load

I got the coral when I bought the used love rock about 6 months ago

Please define a bit high. And how high are they in the tank? Zoas/palys don't need a ton of light, and metal halides are pretty intense.

The lights are only 150watts it's under a black darker area under my hood and it's halfway to the top

Are the rest of your coral doing okay? Did they open before and you changed something and now the don't open?

And can I have the actual numbers of your parameters?

That's my only one I never felt my light was adequate enough almost as soon as I put it in in closed. Ammonia is 0, high range ph is 8, nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 80 - 100.

I'm currently doing 3 water changes a week to lower my nitrates

Oh wow, nitrates are definitely an issue, that's a lot more than a bit high.. I thought you were talking like 20ppm. That's extremely high.

You need to get them down asap, I would do daily or every other day 25% or larger water changes until their <20.

Last edited:
150 watt hqi metal halide 2 if them and moon lights. 96 watt fluorescent t5 acitinics 4 in total. In the last week I had to change my heater, my protein skimmer and then yesterday my light

Just to clarify:
2x hqi 150W
4 x 96W actinics

With the new heater the tank is still at ~78? some heaters are way off calibration. All the changes are good.

I see only see one big problem, and that's the nitrates.. that's your problem right there.

Yup I keep it around 78 - 79 I have a digital thermometer. I think my old lights and insufficient protein skimmer and a broken water mover made my nitrates sky rocket

Yup I neglected it but I'm not going to be in that boat ever again. Once this is in check every week water changes.

Back
Top Bottom