I want to start a nano reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,
I've been posting on the freshwater forums since I joined this site. I have a betta (had two, but now just one...I'll get another one soon!)

I've been researching SW for a month or so, mostly just reading all the SW articles and most of the posts. But this weekend is what settled it for me -- when Snapcrackler posted about how great his live rock shipment was, and Allivymar and Bearfan, FW advisors, are going SW!!

I have so many questions running thru my head -- I can't type them that fast! So I will organize my questions and ask just a few at a time! I probably won't set this tank up until next spring - summer. The room it will go in is the only room in the house that still has carpet, but we'll put hardwood in next spring. So it would be bad to set it up soon and have to worry about moving it to do the floor.

Here are some questions I have now, before my heart is set on this (well, too late! :D )

Is a 7 or 10 gallon too small for a nano-reef? There is a 7.4 gallon tank in the DrsFosterSmith catalog that says "great for nano-reefs".

Most important -- can all the stuff (there is a ton of SW stuff in DrsFosterSmith) that I need for the tank maintenance be ordered online? Due to horrible dog/cat/bird allegies, I stay away from pet stores as much as possible. It works out well for my betta, but I was wondering how it would work for SW. Aside from the initial purchase of the betta tank and equipment, the betta doesn't need much.

Thanks for reading this and I appreciate any tips you have!

Is a 7 or 10 gallon too small for a nano-reef?

No but they tend to be harder. Environmental changes will occur quickly, small tanks are less stable and need more attention than larger tanks. It is not the ideal size I would recommend for a first tank, but it is doable.

Most important -- can all the stuff (there is a ton of SW stuff in DrsFosterSmith) that I need for the tank maintenance be ordered online?

Yes, I can't think of anything I use that I couldn't get online or in a local hardware store ;)

I have also caught the Nano-Bug!

Right now I am planning my 10 gal., and I even ordered the lights this weekend... (hellolights.com) I am going to get everything except the tank and livestock online. BigAlsOnline.com has great prices compared to the LFS...

Take a look at nano-reef.com. There is a ton of useful information there regarding nano specific topics. But the people there aren't nearly as nice as here, so do your research before you post any questions! (I've seen some people get flamed for not researching their questions first!)

This will be my first foray into SW and I am really excited! Glad to have someone to share the nano set-up stories with!

The biggest problem with the nano-reef is evaporation. Depending on temp etc... you may need to top of the tank water every day. I have read where people hook up drip systems to keep the water level from dropping.

Also in a tank that size you will probably be able to only keep one fish. The saltys tend to be a little more territorial and aggressive.

nano-reef.com has great articles (as mentioned above) for setup and also has a list of suitable fish.

<- Reefer_Buddha on nano-reef.com. Let me know if you need any help. I have 2 nano's up right now.

I am also a bit interested in this area, but if I went with it, it wouldn't be for a while. What wattage would be required for a 10 gallon? Also what chemicals are used to mainatain these tanks.. My friend has a reef tank (75 gallons) and often there are different bottles of stuff.. like 7! But I don;t know what any of them do :p I've done freshwater foir about 2 years...

Electrobes, the chemicals are the same for a nano as they would for a large reef tank. I use a lot of b-ionic, marine snow and kent marine makes good stuff. As for wattage do you mean lights? heater? I have a 50 watt jager and custom sea life pc's. The main concern (as posted above) is watching the water level and checking your water parameters often. I check mine about 2-3 times a week to make sure all the levels are good. Usually you can put 1 percula in a 7-10g tank and some inverts. No anemone's and possibly a clam if you have good lighting like mh's.

If I did a nano, I would have a big ole sump/refugium to keep things extra safe (bigger than the nano)...

Or is that cheating? :roll:

its not cheating :lol: a lot of ppl use an aquaclear 500 on the back for water movement and refugium. Its pretty cool. You see a lot more ingenuity on nanos because of space limitations. Electrobes, i wouldnt do one because they move around and can sting your corals. They're very picky about light also. More for advanced aquarists, even in a normal reef they can be a pita

Actually, I am thinking of a big ol' refugium myself... maybe the same size as the nano. I just haven't figured out all the plumbing yet. Lights were my first research project - now it's time to move onto refugiums and plumbing...

I've thought about the AC 500 too, but I am afraid it will be too much flow for a 10 gal... The AC300 has the impeller that you can change out to get less flow... But then you lose the water volume of the 500. Biotoxin - help! Any opinion on an AC 500 for a 10 gal nano?

Tigerlily said:
Non ruttare mio amore... Spaventi i pesci!

My friend can burp loud enough to do this.

I thought I could burp loud but not like that.

Just thought I'd share

from what i hear you adjust the flow on it. Plus id rather have too much flow than not enough that was you dont have buildup of elements. Im a DIY person so id just build one that would make the flow be adequate. I just got done making a cpr bak pak for my 10g its an exact duplicate as a cpr but mine cost around 50$ for all of it:)

Silly Snap, thanks for sharing! 8O

My boyfriend (dear sweet gentle boy that he is) chugs diet coke with the express purpose of trying to frighten me, the fish, the cat, the dog and every other living creature within a 5 mile radius. I must say that phrase 10 times a day!

I think I'm going to have to put the English translation in my signature now so people know what the heck we're talking about...

Sorry about the hijacked thread An!

I am in pretty much agreement with everything said here.

I would be better if you could have a sump/fuge plumbed into your nano. The additional water volume will give you a bigger margin of error since small tanks can be very hard to keep important parameters in check.

OK possum - I included the English translation in my signature. Now the whole world will know that my BF is an Italian burping fiend! :roll:

Back
Top Bottom