Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1.White spots on fish (including fins)
2.Ich is caused by a ciliated protozoan of the genus Ichthyophthirius. What actually causes I don't know. Over-crowding, bad water, a combination, etc... this is something I don't know.
3. Many aquarium owners have their individual regime for fighting off Ich and this can include:
A. Temp increase to 86 degrees
B. Aquarium Salt
C. Large water changes more frequently than before.
D. Medicine at LFS (ie: QuICK Cure)

I recently had my tank infected with Ich and the following is what I did. Keep in mind that this may not be best for you or correct but it worked for me.

1. Isolate obviously infected fish.
2. Segregated all fish out of infected tank.
3. Got rid of ground cover.
4. Bleached, washed, washed,washed all ornaments, plants (fake), new ground cover, heater, filter, bubble wand, etc...
5. Added aquarium salt to clean fishless tank
6. Let cycle through with 25% water changes for 2 days, before adding fish.
7. Used QuICK Cure (still am)
8. Spots went away and all seems good, but I am continuing treatment for an additional 4 days, just in case.

Again, this is what I did. This does not mean this is correct or right for you or your tank/fish. Certain fish adhere better to salt treatments, some species aren't capable of 86 degree water, etc...

Are you currently infected?

Not sure my tang has some little white specks on it but the other fish look fine

IF your tang has ich.. The tank is infected. Check out some of the previous threads on this forum regarding the treatment of ich. It can live in a fallow tank (fishless) for 6-8 weeks. If you have a reef, inverts, or any live rock you cannot treat the DT. There is NO reef safe effective ich medication. If it looks like grains of sand or salt... It might be ich. If it's fuzzy or has a cottony quality to it, it might be lymphocystis. If you can get a pic... It would be helpful. Ich is a parasite that is caused by a number of things that all boil down to stress. Stressed fish get sick. Fish that have new tank inhabitants, bad water conditions, overfeeding, etc.

In my mind the "best" cure for ich or other skin related sicknesses is cleaner shrimp (in groups of 2-5) and cleaner wrasses, hard to get to eat after parasites are gone work well in pairs in a large tank with fish that are prone to disease. Some people have succeeded in getting them to eat things other the parasites, but generally, I would get the cleaner shrimp unless you have something that will eat the shrimp, in which case the cleaner wrasse is your best choice

Pic of the tang not very good but u can see it by the fins

Attachments

• image-1029609642.jpg
    image-1029609642.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 127
I have 2 percula clowns, royal gramma, yellow tang, sand sifter goby

Back
Top Bottom