Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crama1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have noticed white spots on my foxface he isent to well and on my green chromis he seems ok any help on this

Set up a qt tank and put your fish in it. I do hyposalinaty at 1.010. Do this for a month. Let your dt go fish less for 6-8 weeks. I'd go the full 8. That way you don't have to worry about reinfection.

All my fish are out of my dt except my little yellow nose goby. I've been treating my dt with a reef safe ich attack. It's been one week so far. Can my goby keep ick alive even though he seems immune?

I've never treated my dt. Just a qt so I can't be a lot of help there. The reason we go fish less in a dt is because with no fish for ich to attach to then it dies off. Hopefully someone will chime in and give you more info. Good luck and keep us posted

The problem is getting it out cause the goby is small fast shy. Don't want to mess up my tank trying to get it.

It supposedly all natural, no chemicals but I hear ya. I don't want to put anything in there that's why I was wondering if the goby can keep the ich alive for the two months.

Any fish left in the main tank runs the risk of carrying the ich. It could easily re-infect the entire tank. I would break it down if you have to, get that goby and be done with it. You will have 2 months to re do the rockwork so it's not pressing to keep everything as is.

Good luck.

It's no problem. I've only been doing salt for 4 months but I've learned so much from on here. I ask for help when needed and give advice when I can. Good luck

When you have ick on fish, I agree that the best advice to eradicate them is leaving QT with no fish for 8 weeks while treating fish in QT. What I am gonna relate next is what I have done so far without removing all the fish from DT and with success. Just remember though that ich will start to proliferate only if you have fish that is stressed out and becomes weak. Stress can be caused by either being harassed by other fish or poor water quality. It usually happens when introducing a new fish in your tank. The most susceptible ones are tang due to their thinner protective skin coating.

The first sign of ich in my tank was when my Blue Regal Tang was covered with white powdery thing in it's body. I moved him in QT with copper treatment for 6 weeks. However, while my BRT was under treatment, my yellow tang started to show some sign of ich also when it keeps scratching its side in the rocks and substrate. I started treating the DT with Garlic Xtreme 2x a day and also mixed the frozen food with same, plus other food supplements. The scratching started to subside until it was totally gone. There are other fish such as flame angel, clown and damsel which were not affected. It's already more than 4 months and my fish are happy with no more sign of ich. My BRT is on separate tank cause I feel it's not comfortable being with yellow tang.

Its a pain but I do the 12 hour tank swap method. Remove from the main tank and put in a hospital tank. 12 hours later move fish to a second hospital tank and drain bleach and refill the first one. This process will last for a few days before its completely gone. It has to be right on time to work against ichs life cycle of eggs hatching. For me I was first forced into this due to a lack of funds for the ich meds however as the years went on it just seemed more natural this way so that's how I have always handled it.

I lost my foxface through it last night this ich is a nightmare I don't have a hospital tank or have the funds for one so I don't know what I am going to do loosing my foxface was bad enough I really hope I don't loose anymore

I lost my foxface through it last night this ich is a nightmare I don't have a hospital tank or have the funds for one so I don't know what I am going to do loosing my foxface was bad enough I really hope I don't loose anymore

Ok gime the run down. Do you have any extra aquarium stuff not used in your display tank. Any 5 gallon buckets used for water changes? Whats ALL in your DT now. I can help advise how to set something up but ill need every little detail if possible.

I have 5 gallon buckets no qt tank tho

Any extra heaters, air pumps, sponge filters, second bathroom with a tub, extra thermometers?

You can use the buckets as a qt tank but it sucks for visibility. .. if you cant heat them you can place them in a tub full of water and use the 1 heater to heat the tubs tap water. The warm water touching the buckets will heat the water inside the buckets. An air stone inside the bucket would really be nice to make sure there is plenty of air in the water. Since they will go into a new bucket with fresh water every 12 hours the biofilter or fear of amonia spikes isnt that great.

If this doesnt work what kind of time and money do you have to go to garage sales or goodwill/salvation army today to look for a cheap setup.

I think you see my direction with this can any of it work for you?

I wouldn't care but I have just give my old 3ft tank to my brother in law as I got a new 5ft tank I will have to keep an eye open for a cheap set up all my funds has just went into my new set up

Back
Top Bottom