Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dominick008

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the best way to take away ich without medication

My damsel fish has been acting up and I've noticed little white spots on him.

He has been in my tank for about a month

He is with a goby in a 29 gallon tank

Plz help don't have the money for medication right now and I was wondering if I could do anything to help him

What is the best way to take away ich without medication

My damsel fish has been acting up and I've noticed little white spots on him.

He has been in my tank for about a month

He is with a goby in a 29 gallon tank

Plz help don't have the money for medication right now and I was wondering if I could do anything to help him
I have heard a wide range of things, ranging from hypo to copper based medicines. Basically depends if your doing FOWLR or reef. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

You need medication to get rid of the ich. Cupramin is your best bet its not that expensive maybe around $10. But you need a qt tank you cannot use it in your main tank especially if you have inverts. You also need to keep your main tank without fish for 6 to 8 weeks in order to kill off the ich thats in there, you also need a copper test kit that tests for cupramine, seachem makes one which is the company that makes cupramine Make sure you follow the directions carefully.

Raise the temperature of your tank it will speed up the life cycle of the ich parasite. Some people use salt to help. But i think you will have to use medication. Anti white no7 is a goodone its only about 7pounds. Works in two doses to maximise that you catch parasite in freeswim part of the cycle, i used with all my healthy fish in same tank. It doesnt affect healthy fish. Ich is often naturally found in tank. An outbreak happens when your fish are stress and there immune system is down. Fish build up an immunity to ich. So often new members of the tank are striked down with it, due to the stress of moving.

Hi i'm speaking from experience with coldwaterfish, i dont know how anti whitespot no7 works with tropical fish so you may need to quarrantine depending on your species.

Saltwater ich is different to freshwater and needs to be treated as above, in a separate tank with either a copper based med or hypo salinity...

Raise the temperature of your tank it will speed up the life cycle of the ich parasite. Some people use salt to help. But i think you will have to use medication. Anti white no7 is a goodone its only about 7pounds. Works in two doses to maximise that you catch parasite in freeswim part of the cycle, i used with all my healthy fish in same tank. It doesnt affect healthy fish. Ich is often naturally found in tank. An outbreak happens when your fish are stress and there immune system is down. Fish build up an immunity to ich. So often new members of the tank are striked down with it, due to the stress of moving.

Raising the water temp. has no effect on saltwater ich that is a treatment for freshwater fish

Back
Top Bottom