Ich !! And other diseases !!! Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dude I'm right there with you , I have only squirrell fish and 2 chromis , I lost about 8 or 9 fish :(

Have you treated it or anything yet? I am stil looking for a medicine that actually works , I'm kinda list on what to do next now that all my fish are dead , I'm thinking a big ! Water Change ??

Saltwaterfish56 said:
Have you treated it or anything yet? I am stil looking for a medicine that actually works , I'm kinda list on what to do next now that all my fish are dead , I'm thinking a big ! Water Change ??

No nothing new.
But from talking to saltwater only LFS an reef clubs I have learned that Seachem Cupramine 100mL works the best because it stays in solution better than most and not as harmful to the fish.
What I would do next time;
Freshwater dips ( or with formalin) and cupramine.

I am so glad I quarantined this time. Or my whole tank would be gone. I know how ur feeling. I have learned the valuable lesson to Quarantine all fish and corals for at least 2 months. So time to find place to setup permanent QT.

If what you had was a parasitic infestation, which it sounds like you had, a really bad one, then leaving the tank fish-less for 8 weeks, will solve the problem. The parasites need a host to further their own kind. They have a life cycle, with a few different stages, the last of which is the one that attacks the fish, and reproduces. If there are no fish to attack, they don't get the needed fuel, to reproduce, therefore ending the whole colony. The parasites already present will emerge to find nothing to feed off of, and die, before getting a chance to reproduce....ending the cycle.
Hope this helps you with moving forward.
From your description, in the original post, it sounded like either ich, Oodinium, or Brooklynella. All of which are parasitic infections.

To answer your question. No need to change water yet. I would wait 8 weeks just to be safe.

Maybe 30% after one month, 6 weeks and 8weeks.

Well I do still have my shrimp , snails , corals , hermits and a squirrel fish and 2 chromis that never showed any signs of anything

So you still have fish in the system? Thought you said in a post that"ALL my fish are dead", didn't know you were just speaking figuratively because you lost a lot.
Your best bet to end this cycle, is to put the remaining fish in a quarantine tank, and leave the system fish-less for 8 weeks. You cannot get the parasites out of the system, while there are fish in it.
Chromis ( damsels ) are a very hardy fish, not sure about the squirrel, just because you can't visibly see the parasites, doesn't mean they are not being effected. Some fish fight it off better than others, the parasites are still in the system.
Earlier you commented that"no one understands my question, haha", but many different posters have told you to stay fish-less for 6-8 weeks. It just seems that you are not listening to sound advice when it is given.
Best of luck solving your parasite issues.

Back
Top Bottom