Ich dilema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jschier

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, in my QT right now is my hippo tang, 2 OC clowns and a neon goby. They've been in hypo for 6 weeks now due to ich and are looking great. Meanwhile in my big tank, my longnose butterfly now has ich (never in contact with the fish in QT tank). So I'm treating with ich attack (LFS recommendation) and it's near the end of the first week (possibly week or weeks to go) Still spots on the butterfly but on no one else. My dilemma is, I really want to get my hippo out of QT as it's a smaller tank but do I risk putting him in a tank with ich? I can't move my butterfly to the QT as it's hypo and I still have 4 other fish in the big tank so I can't relocate all of them to let it go fallow. Please before leaving a comment about ich attack read the info on it thoroughly (I have). I do of course have reservations about it but it was a good first option. So, in time, do I add the QT fish into the big tank when they are ready? Do I wait until signs of ich are gone (although not really gone) then add them, possibly treating everyone again in the big tank? The QT fish are fat, active and seem healthy.

At this point I would take the butterfly to LFS for free and let them treat it. You will then run the tank fallow for 2-8 weeks. You butterfly is a host for Ich and once you add the rest of the crew you will be back to square one. It's either give away one fish knowing it will be treated and sold to someone else or risk losing all fish in your tank.
Of course treating them all at one would have been nicer but can't change the past now.

Yes, agreed. Sadly a return to the LFS isn't an option. Although, I do want a bigger QT.....maybe it's time to buy one and put the butterfly in it.

Back
Top Bottom