ich gross

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

murcos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently (4 days ago) got two fish from Petco, a perc Clown and a Royal Grama. They seemed and looked healthy when I got them. I put them into my tank, stupidly without quarenteening them first. I noticed today that the Royal Grama seems to have ich pretty bad. I wasn't sure when it developed because he likes to hide out in the rocks.

I put the clown and the R. Grama in the QT with copper treatment. I still have 3 Chromies, and a Lawnmower Blenny...do I need to treat all of them? The others seem okay I think, but I don't want to lose any of these guys.

Any advice would help! Thanks!
Mary

murcos said:
do I need to treat all of them?
Yes

What type of copper are you using and at what dose?
Are you possitive this is C. irritans?
How large is your QT?

Cheers
Steve

ich

I have a 10 gallone QT, and am using Cupramine by Seachem. I am using the 1ml dose, then another 48hours later. Then half that dose left for 14 days.
I brought my fish in to the lfs and had them consult on it, and they all thought it was ich as well. I looked in some books and it sure looks like it to me.

THanks!
Mary

Re: ich

murcos said:
I have a 10 gallone QT
This will too small for that many fish. I would suggest an additional tank, 20 gal long if you can find it. Be sure you check water quality daily for ammonia (using Seachems kit) and nitrite. Do the appropriate (medicated) water changes as needed.

and am using Cupramine by Seachem. I am using the 1ml dose, then another 48hours later. Then half that dose
So 2 ml total or 2½? Have you tested the copper concentration to be sure it is at 0.5 mg/l using the Seachem multitest copper kit?

left for 14 days.
With Cupramine I would go 21 days just to be sure, it is quite safe as long as it is tested regularly/daily. The main tank will need to remain fallow (fishless) for 6 weeks anyway.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom