ich hippo tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blue tang has ich

help please tell me what i can do to make that blue tang ich free.

what are reasons why they get ich?

how do i get rid of it?

IME I use garlic in the water and on the food. I have never lost a SW fish due to ICH and I don't quarantine, unless the fish is getting stressed by the other fish. When I stocked my 180 and spotted the first signs I added so much in the water (a little at a time) I could smell it. Every time I fed the tank, I would soak the food, with a squirt for the tank. After a couple of weeks and a couple of water changes all was right. now if I see a fish scratch it's self I put garlic on the food for 2 or 3 days.

From the advice from a high end LFS owner. He said ICH was like the common cold, It's always around and you catch it when your immune system is compromised. Moving a sick fish to a QT tank adds to it's stress. Stress=Ich.
I've been told on this site that garlic won't cure ICH. Garlic Extreme works for me.

IME I use garlic in the water and on the food. I have never lost a SW fish due to ICH and I don't quarantine, unless the fish is getting stressed by the other fish. When I stocked my 180 and spotted the first signs I added so much in the water (a little at a time) I could smell it. Every time I fed the tank, I would soak the food, with a squirt for the tank. After a couple of weeks and a couple of water changes all was right. now if I see a fish scratch it's self I put garlic on the food for 2 or 3 days.
From the advice from a high end LFS owner. He said ICH was like the common cold, It's always around and you catch it when your immune system is compromised. Moving a sick fish to a QT tank adds to it's stress. Stress=Ich.
I've been told on this site that garlic won't cure ICH. Garlic Extreme works for me.

yeah definetly get a quarentine tank or hospital tank ASAP. the way to get rid of the ich is to remove all fish into a QT of some sort for maybe a month or two then the ich parasite has nothing to feed on and it will die off.

I highly agree with quarantine and garlic doesn't kill ich, it just provides a boost to the immune system as it does for many terrestrial animals including humans. Having parasites is far more stressful than acclimating it to a quarantine.

Please take the time and read some of the articles melosu58 posted.

IMO if you have ICH it's in your main tank, filter and any accessory that has water running through it. If you remove the affected fish from the main tank to a quarantine tank now you have 2 affected tanks and a stressed sick fish. When you return the now well fish, it not only will have the stress of moving but it has the added stress of reestablishing territory and or pecking order. Now what's to keep the same fish from getting ICH again? A 1oz bottle of Garlic Extreme is about $15 while a QT system is over $100, plus upkeep. QT tanks have a place as a preventive measure but I believe in curing the whole system along with all the fish. If you catch it before the fish is listing or looks like it's been rolled in salt the garlic can't hurt.

Just my two bits worth.

Ich is a parasite. A parasite cannot live without a host. If you remove the fish and treat for killing the parasite (hyposalinity is considered humane and actually relieves stress for a short period) the fish will recover. Leaving the main tank fallow (no fish) for 30 days and raising the temperature will advance the parasite's cycle of life and eventually they will die off without anything to feed from. Is it work? Yes, which is why you quarantine fish before adding them to your main system. As far as stress is concerned, it is far more stressful for the animal if infected with any type of parasite or other malady for a considerable time. With garlic, you can hope it will boost the immune system enough to fight off ailments, but it would be much less time consuming and advantageous cost-wise in the long-run to cure your animal right off the bat. You are not curing a system by leaving the parasite or disease to freely reproduce. Quarantine system costs $100.? Do a search on these boards and there are posts of very simple quarantine systems costing under $50. on top of being able to store them after treatments.

I agree 100% with Innovator and the FACTS he posted above.
Take the time to read the articles melosu58 posted and you will see proven methods, not opinions.

Please please follow the advice Innovator gave! :) I didnt use a QT when I started up my tank and my very first two fish had ich. It was such a pain! Its certainly worth the few $s to save the health of your fish!

Innovator gave some very good advice. Once you rid your tank of the Ich parasite and practice safe fishkeeping (QT all new additons for 30 days) you won't have to worry about seeing those dreaded little white spots again. My 125 has been Ich free for 2½ years now since the one and only outbreak I had.

Hyposalinity is the best method IMO. Yes it is work, but it's worth it. Read the articles that were previously posted and then read the link I just posted. You'l be glad you did in the end.

BTW, I bought a 30 gallon tank for my QT/hospital tank and a HOB bio-wheel filter. I already had a heater, a RODI unit, a refrectometer and pvc parts to be used for hiding space, so my total cost was under $70.00 and that was from a lfs.

Back
Top Bottom