ich one tiny blue tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmetcalf

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got a tiny blue tang with ich. She's really stressed and not swimming, not eating. just sitts on the bottom.

Im stuck... I don't have access to a fish store to buy copper sulfate for 12 hours or so. should i try a freshwater dip or will it kill her given how stressed she is already?

Mmm, If he/she is not eating i would do a fresh water dip. But if he/she is already really stressed, The survival rate is quite low. Hopefully the freshwater dip does good, if you can catch he/she easy with minimal stress, It might be ok.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Fresh water dip would be the best option IMO.

I would suggest adding some nori, making sure nothing is picking on it, and leaving it be. My little one in my 180, had a little bit of ich, and after a few days it disappeared. I will do a fallow period after Christmas, although I hate the idea. Dont do a FW dip though, give it high oxygen water, good water parameters, and lots of food.

I personally would not do a FW dip. Never seen any good come from them. Have you tried dried seaweedas someone earlier mentioned. I would do some PWC`s to make sure your water parameters are in check.

If she has ich she is stressed regardless. I would perform a 2-10min. fw dip and put into qt. I would then begin hyposalinity.

I really appreciate everyone's input. thanks soo much!

I chickened out on the FW dip. She was lying on the bottom, looking dead and i couldn't bear to put her through any more stress.

Two days ago I put her in QT with hyposalinity, 82 degrees, and a copper formalin complex.

the same day i bought some Garlic Guard (or something like that) and soaked some frozen brine shrimp in it. I sqirted a little bit in front of her with a dropper and she went NUTS for it. Ever since shes been eating well and exploring her QT a little rather than playing dead. She's still really shy but I'm sure that normal.

Roka64: she's pretty little. Minus her tail, she'd fit on a Canadian nickel.

I dont think you can do two treatments at once. Either hypo or formalin from what I understand. You dont want both IMO

There shouldn't be a problem performing hypo with formalin (I wouldn't mix formalin w/copper), the main concern is you want a lower temperature, 76F-78F, and an added airstone when using formalin.

I'll i'll turn down the temp a bit.
Every copper treatment i could find (tried all fishstores in the area) had copper mixed with formalin, or just formalin. No copper sulfate which is what i wanted, or chelated copper. I haven't heard great things about formalin so i opted to take the copper formalin mix. The LFS i got it from treats their tanks with it and they said it's worked for them. :S

There shouldn't be a problem performing hypo with formalin (I wouldn't mix formalin w/copper), the main concern is you want a lower temperature, 76F-78F, and an added airstone when using formalin.

I was hoping you would help us out James on this. I`m pretty sure copper and hypo would not have been good but I didnt know for sure with the formilin. Thanks for clearing that up James.

Technically formalin isn't efficient for the removal of ich; mind went blank on this thread. Certain medications I do not like to mix, copper and formalin are two of those. If you go with copper there's no need to hypo, but lowering the salinity to 26-30ppt may be therapeutic . If you do use copper go with Cupramine.

I couldn't find just copper, of any sort :( the copper formalin complex was my only option with copper in it.

Back
Top Bottom