Ich or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredandfred

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a purple tang that we just noticed within a few hours looked like it had ich. Looked like a salt shaker had attacked it. I pulled it out of my main tank and into QT. This was at about 11pm. The next morning no sign of ich, no spots, nothing. Can it disappear that quickly or could my Dragon Goby just showered the Tang with some sand? Don't see any other signs of problems like appetite or anything. Do I keep in in my QT or what?

Keep the tang in the QT and watch the fish in the main for signs as well. I know this sounds like a lecture but the QT is where the tang should have started first off.

No spots at the LFS to spots on the fish a few hours later does not seem plausable or likely for C. irritans and could easily be debris. Better safe than sorry though.

Cheers
Steve

I don't think I worded my statement correct. I had the tang for quite a while. What I meant was that it was fine and then in a matter of a couple of hours he was covered with the spots.

fredandfred said:
What I meant was that it was fine and then in a matter of a couple of hours he was covered with the spots.
Definately not Crypt then. It generally takes at least a day+ for the trophont to become visible.

What was the last item added to the tank, how long ago and have you ever had trouble with parasites in the past (this tank)?

Cheers
Steve

This tang was the last item put in the display tank and it was 3 days ago. I have not had any parasite issues since this tank started.

I would not say that 3 days is "quite a while." It is quite possibly ich. I would keep it in QT until you can be sure it is safe. Did you QT prior to adding to the main?

tripper

I had the tang for "quite a while". He was put in my display tank 3 days ago. Man, you have to be real careful on how you word things here.

accuracy helps in the diagnosis. That is why we cringe when someone writes, all paramaters are fine ...specifics really help.

Hara said:
That is why we cringe when someone writes, all paramaters are fine ...specifics really help.
Too true... 8O

fredandfred said:
This tang was the last item put in the display tank and it was 3 days ago
Hara is right on as far as how you choose your words. It can make all the difference in an accurate diagnosis. In regards to this parasite (crypt), three days is plenty of time for the trophont to show up. You will know quite quickly if this is C. irritans if they re appear in about 3+ days. If so, all your fish will need to be removed to an appropriately sized QT and treated, not just the tang. Since the spots have "left" the fish, it has now moved on to the reproductive stage (tomont) for which each can produce 200+ tomites.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom