ICH... post treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, got a dottyback that has been flashing/glancing quite a bit last week. I tried giving him a 15min bath last weekend with an anti-Parasitic Kent product... Completely INeffective. Then tried Organi-Cure tri-chilated copper/formaldahyde treatment for the maximum recommended 4 day dose. He is STILL glancing although not nearly as much... about every 15mins or so. Is this natural? It was the end of the 4 day dose last night and I replaced carbon and did a 15% water change. How long does it take for this parasite to drop off and die? has it died? should I continue treatment past recommended time?

Also, as a side question... How is it possible to treat this effectively WITHOUT treating the display tank? if at certain points in it's lifecycle it is "freeswimming" how is it effective to pull a fish out and treat it in a qt tank just to put it back into a display tank that is crawling with ich parasites??? thanks!

well it has to find a host within a certain time period and after that it dies and each fish if heatlh is not a acceptable as another. and leaving the ich fish in the tank will only host and contiune the parasite. and you dont want copper in any tank if possible it stress all fish and is a last resort. hopefully with removing all noticlble affected fish you will end the cycle. my issue with complete die off took 14 days for all signs to disapper and stay gone
hope that helps

and the only good thing i know that is safe and will treat the free floating parasite to a point is a good uv light but they can be expensive

Back
Top Bottom