Ich!!! Set up a QT for all fish in reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twkenny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here is the situation. Out Foxface has developed Ich and it's getting worse with each cycle. I thought he shook it, but I was wrong. I am determined not to lose a fish to this as we have yet to lose any fish.
It's a 55 reef with only three fish. The other two (firefish and coral beauty) do not show symptoms. The fox is eating well, but he's getting a lot of spots.
Here is my plan and my concerns....
I can set up a 20 long. I have water ready to go in it now. My questions and concerns...Can I use the Skilter 400 I was about to take off the reef as a filter for the QT? Will that charcoal and media keep the ammonia down? I was going to transfer the media and not start with new. Can I put some new base rock I have in there? What about substrate? I assume none. I was going to treat the fish and keep them out for 6 weeks. What do I need to do to the reef tank during that time to maintain the inverts?
Thanks in advance!!!!

twkenny said:
It's a 55 reef with only three fish. The other two (firefish and coral beauty) do not show symptoms.
Aside from your ich dilema, be aware that a fox will get quite large and outgow the 55 soon. Be prepared to upgrade. :wink:

Here is my plan and my concerns....
I can set up a 20 long. I have water ready to go in it now. My questions and concerns...Can I use the Skilter 400 I was about to take off the reef as a filter for the QT? Will that charcoal and media keep the ammonia down? I was going to transfer the media and not start with new
The skilter will be fine albeit a bit noisey. The carbon and such in there now will help transfer the necessary bacteria needed for nitrification so in essence they will help with the ammonia just fine.

Can I put some new base rock I have in there? What about substrate? I assume none. I was going to treat the fish and keep them out for 6 weeks.
Remove all the fish and treat them in the QT preferabley using >>hyposalinity<<. In order for this to be effective, the display must remain fallow for a minimum of 4 weeks but the 6 you have indicated would be great. Leave the QT as bare as possible to allow for easy clean up. No sand or rock just short pieces of PVC to give the fish a sense of security and a place to hide.

What do I need to do to the reef tank during that time to maintain the inverts?
The inverts can stay in the main tank without concern. They will be unaffected by the parasite. Just be sure to drop some food in for them a few times and week. That will also add an ammonia source to keep up some of the bacteria. Sinking pellets will usually be sufficient.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom