Ick???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TMK I removed the other post and left this one. Yes that is ick. What size tank do you have as the powder brown and Blue are notorius ick magnets esp if the tank is not large enough or water params are less than ideal. You`ll have to QT your fish and treat with hypo and leave your main fallow for about 6-8 weeks. Can you give us your water test results.

parms:
salinity 10021
amm 0
nitrate 50
nitrite maybe .25 just slightly purple
ph 8.2

My fish
2 perculas
3 green chromis
1 foxface
1coral beauty
1 powdwr blue tang

125g
125lbs lr
pro prizm skimmer
hob filter w/bio wheel( Less than 1 mon)
uv sterlizer

The fish in question is a powder blue tang. I added him and 2 pieces of lr about 1 mon ago. I had a slight ammonia spike of about 5 2 weeks after adding them. I did a 20% water change and the ammonia went away. Tang has had spots for about a week. Started with one or two now this. I don't have a Qt set-up. I have A 30g that has 2 goldfish in it and an empty 10 gallon. I guess I will move the gold fish to the ten gallon and set the 30 gallon for the saltwater fish. I have some floss that is in my protein skimmer. I will use this to seed the tank. I am concerned about the boi- load in the 30 gallon. Do I need to treat all the fish? They don't have any signs of ick?. Can I treat the tang in a 10g for 6-8weeks? Is it to small? I am gonna use hypo. I have some copper but I don't like to use chemicals unless I have to. How will I catch the fish? Will I have to remove the rock? If so, how long can it stay out of the water?

The reason for opnly a few spots to what you have now is that when the parasite attaches to the fish once it gets full it will fall off to the bottom where 200 little ones called tomites will come out of that one and the cycle renews itself. Which now is at epic proportions. All the fish will have to be QT and treated with hypo. Your main will have to be fallow for 6-8 weeks preferrably 8. As far as water params Salinity is a little low and nitrites and nitrates are high.Continue to run your UV as this will help to get rid of any free floating parasites that get caught up in the chamber. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom