Ick and the clean up crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarOrks15

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i just order a clean up crew from my tank today. will be here on saturday. but my questions is i have only one fish and the one fish ( a clown) has ick. will my clean up crew be fine. he is right now in the show tank. when the clean up crew arrives can i put then in the show tank with the ick fish or should i move the ick fish to the qt tank. i an not treating the ick yet. i am trying to let the fish fight it off right now. and if he cant then i will treat it in the qt tank. so my real question is will the ick go to the clean up crew? (mostly snails and hermits)

Unless the clown has had ick previously you are leaving much to chance on it fighting the parasite at this point. Aquired immunity will only have some affect but in a closed system it is not what I would call reliable or well advised.

If the QT is set up and ready I would transfer the clown and begin treatment as long as you are sure it is C. irritans. Also check for the possibility of Brooklynella hostillis.

The inverts will be completely unaffected by the either parasite and can be added safely without concern to the display tank provided no treatments have been previously used.

Cheers
Steve

well the LFS who i bought it from said that by movie it from one tank to another it picked it up. i looked at it to day and it was goign a way a little so far. so i am hopeing that i do not have to treat it. thank you for your help

Keep careful watch on it. C. irritans has several stages of developement in which only one is one the fish. Once it falls off and forms the reproductive cyst it will re-infest the fish. You may only have seen the first few trophonts that came in with the fish. If that's the case, there will be more in a few days.

Cheers
Steve

hmmm well we will have to see. but the clean up crew will still be fine if it dose turn out to be c irritans? and how would he get that. he is new to the tank and the LFS had no out brakes of any thing.

WarOrks15 said:
hmmm well we will have to see. but the clean up crew will still be fine if it dose turn out to be c irritans?
Invertebrates are unaffected and will be fine.

nd how would he get that. he is new to the tank and the LFS had no out brakes of any thing.
Most LFS's will run their FO tanks with a certain level of copper. Usually high enough to keep infestations of ick and other parasites down but not strong enough to be an actual remedy. Even if you see nothing at the LFS it does not mean it will not happen later.

Cheers
Steve

well this came from a reef thank that they had set up. so i know there was no copper in the water. but it seems to be going down. i just got my new lighting and i think he is vary streesed out about that (from a 30 watt bulb to a 200 watt system) so i am trying to get him used to the bright lights. any good way to do that? i have 3 moon light 1 96 watt blue and 1 96 watt 10000k bulb. or should he be fine if i turn it all on?

Use sheets of window screen to acclimate the new lights. You can cut about 4 or five layers and remove one every couple of days. I think the stress of moving the fish from one tank to another might have contributed in it getting ich...could be wrong though :wink:

Stress is only a factor where the parasite was present in the first place. C. irritans is not an always present affliction and must be introduced. The subsequent stress lowers the immune response of the fish allowing the parasite to get a foot hold.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom