Ick Treatment!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JsQuid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey you all, I'm looking for something to solve my ick. Unfortunately, I have lost 3 fish to the parasite, and my royal gramma is suffering now as we speak. I'm sure it's ick due to the white spots & "flashing" symptoms. I heard of a few chemical solutions, just wondering which is the best that won't hurt my corals or Anenome? Thanks!

Hi sorry hear about it, I've been treating my fish for ich the last 7 weeks and can say only way to 100% kill it is through copper treatment or doing hypo. Your going have to treat fish in qt as if you do treatment in main tank will kill your inverts and corals, will have leave your main tank empty of fish for 6+ weeks, the longer the better. Some people do fresh water dips if fish got it bad then will treat them but I think it just more stress for fish.
Like I said I'm going through ich myself and read up loads as wanted no what's best and choose do the hypo treatment and will have left my tank empty for nearly 11 weeks before put fish back.

Thank you for your information! I think I'll most likely remove the fish & let the display run fallow for a couple weeks to ensure it's free of ick. Lost all my fish but the the Royal Gramma. So saddening...

First you need to leave the main display fallow for longer then a couple of weeks more like 6 to 8 more to the 8 side. Hypo is lowering the salinity of the qt to1.009 to kill the ich but you need a refractometer to do it because you need the accuracy. If you don't have much experience I wouldn't try do do that. Get some cupramine by seachem which is a less harsh form of copper and it works great.

First you need to leave the main display fallow for longer then a couple of weeks more like 6 to 8 more to the 8 side. Hypo is lowering the salinity of the qt to1.009 to kill the ich but you need a refractometer to do it because you need the accuracy. If you don't have much experience I wouldn't try do do that. Get some cupramine by seachem which is a less harsh form of copper and it works great.

Is this product reef safe?

You cant do it in your reef tank. You have to qt your fish and treat them that way.

I am by far no professional, but what worked for me was buying a small tank, something cheep with at heater, and put the fish in that. I put my yellow tang and my fire fish in a 1 gallon tank for a week. I used OuIck Cure by AP. The main ingredient Formalin. What ever you do, do not put this product into the main tank. I did a small water change ever day like half a gal, and used another product called Ammonia Safe, because of the small size of the tank, the ammonia was high. I just didn't have the money at the time to buy a bigger tank. Now this sounds crazy, but I only did this because he was really bad. Within two days, he was clear to the eye. I treated him for a week, along with my fire fish and they both survived. Good luck.

The problem with ich is you could let you tank go fallow for 8 weeks and cure all the fish of the ich. And then switch them back over to the dt. But if you buy any fish from you LFS u have to qt even if it doesn't look like ich is apparent. One slip up and it's back but you might not see it for so time. Fish can live in the same system and never show signs of it. As long as they are healthy they shouldn't contract it. I have ich right now in my tank and I am using kick ich. It might not work it might I've used it in my other tanks and all signs of ich were gone so I decided to use it in my new tank I'm the type of guy who doesn't want to wait around to qt a fish and what not and sometimes it bites u in the (moderator edit)

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with ich is you could let you tank go fallow for 8 weeks and cure all the fish of the ich. And then switch them back over to the dt. But if you buy any fish from you LFS u have to qt even if it doesn't look like ich is apparent. One slip up and it's back but you might not see it for so time. Fish can live in the same system and never show signs of it. As long as they are healthy they shouldn't contract it. I have ich right now in my tank and I am using kick ich. It might not work it might I've used it in my other tanks and all signs of ich were gone so I decided to use it in my new tank I'm the type of guy who doesn't want to wait around to qt a fish and what not and sometimes it bites u in the (moderator edit)

You use kick ich. In your tank with corals in it? Or fish only

You use kick ich. In your tank with corals in it? Or fish only

Never medicate in the DT, it will screw things up. All of those treatments that say invert and coral safe are crap. You have to setup a QT tank.

I used a 10g i got from petco for 13$, then bought a aqueon quiet flow 20 which was 30$, then went to petsmart and got a cheap 25$ topfin heater, some coppersafe treatment, and then got some 1" pvc pipe.

So here was my total:
Filter- 30$
Heater-25$
Tank-13$
Pvc-2$
Meds-16$

Total- 86$ to save your tank from death.

Then drain tank water into your QT and add media from the DT. Fallow for 8 weeks and treat.

Do wc every other day

I am by far no professional, but what worked for me was buying a small tank, something cheep with at heater, and put the fish in that. I put my yellow tang and my fire fish in a 1 gallon tank for a week. I used OuIck Cure by AP. The main ingredient Formalin. What ever you do, do not put this product into the main tank. I did a small water change ever day like half a gal, and used another product called Ammonia Safe, because of the small size of the tank, the ammonia was high. I just didn't have the money at the time to buy a bigger tank. Now this sounds crazy, but I only did this because he was really bad. Within two days, he was clear to the eye. I treated him for a week, along with my fire fish and they both survived. Good luck.

Wow,
I cant believe they survived! Must have stressed the crap out of them!

Sorry to inform you all, but my last fish didn't make it. The Royal Gramma wasn't able to pull through. I woke up to find him dead. I guess I'll just let the tank stay fallow for at least 6 weeks & then take it from there.

It's so discouraging! But thank you all for your concerns! Any input or concerns will be greatly appreciated.

I've medicated in my display tanks people say kick ich doesn't work well it works well enough for me haven't lost a fish coral or invert and no signs of ich. I'm guessing it could be hit or miss for some people.

Back
Top Bottom