Ick what really works?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libimagana

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok some people say hypo treatmeant,
Others fresh water dips, or copper treatment, and some coral safe treatment don't work!
For others some stuff works for others nothing works!.
And I think what if I do uv lights and fresh water dips? Or try coral safe stuff and uv lights at the same time.
Then I think give them garlic food and uv lights so what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
As it stands, there is only one solution for ich. Copper based medications in a QT tank and running the display fallow for 6 weeks. This will ensure the parasite is no longer living in the tank as is encompasses all stages of its life cycle.

As it stands, there is only one solution for ich. Copper based medications in a QT tank and running the display fallow for 6 weeks. This will ensure the parasite is no longer living in the tank as is encompasses all stages of its life cycle.

But do I have to let the QT running all the time even if I don't have fish in it?
And can I get water from the display tank to fill the QT?

I have found that buying a uv steralizer for your tank works wonders to help kill ick. Then just feed your fish some food that has been soaked in fresh garlic cloves that you can mash the juices onto the food into a container and let sit for a few. This overtime will help the fish fight off the ick and eventually be cured.

Either copper OR hyposalinity in a QT tank combined with a fallow period in the display. This is the only method to 100% for sure get rid of ich.

When I did my hyposalinity treatment I just used water from my DT water changes diluted down to the correct salinity to perform water changes on the QT

You don't need to keep it running all the time you can put a few chunks of foam in your sump that way they establish a healthy amount of BB and that would keep the cycle on the qt minimal.
That being said you can go go hypo or copper treatment. Remember that your fish are in a much more confined area and if you don't watch your feeding your levels may get out of control quickly. Just keep a close eye and change water if needed. Feeding lightly will help.

Your display will have to stay fishless for 6-8 weeks to rid your tank from the parasite. Good luck.

UV's only work to kill the free floating parasites it does not kill the parasites on the fish. Also all the water from the return pump needs to go through the uv for it to be effective

The flow has to be just right to get parasites too. If you have water passing too rapidly through the UV it is almost pointless. I would guess that going straight from a return pump would be way too much, but you could probably branch off of it somehow. Overall, I'm not a big fan of UV. It only gets what is in the water, so you still have stuff on the fish and in the rock and sand. I'd rather kill it all . :)

If you branch off only half the water and half the parasites will pass through it thats why all the water needs to pass through. The two inch aqua ultraviolet will handle 800 to 1100 gph which is the flow rate they reccomend because I asked them the same question when I emailed them.

If you branch off only half the water and half the parasites will pass through it thats why all the water needs to pass through. The two inch aqua ultraviolet will handle 800 to 1100 gph which is the flow rate they reccomend because I asked them the same question when I emailed them.

Thanks guys for your help

Back
Top Bottom