idk if i killed my bubble tip anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ve154784

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i'm taking care of a couple of tanks for my brother in law who is currently deployed and for the past 4 months everything has gone surprisingly well (no casualties) last week i noticed that the rosebud bubble tip anemone is really light and almost translucent, i believe its called bleaching, however now i believe its torn in 2 is that normal for when they are splitting
pls help....i really don't want him to come home to a colorless tank
thanks
-V

it sounds like it's very stressed. bleaching is not a good thing, and a lot of the time, splitting, is also caused by stress.
i would say it's on it's way out.
what are the water parameters? how long has he had the anemone?

actually this morning it looks like it has already split, one of them looks full and the other looks skinny and stringy and trapped under the rock, should i move it.

he had it for 5 months before he was deployed and i know very little about the tanks, i was just the only one who had space for them.

thanks a lot for your help
-v

IME they go where they want anyway. If he is on a loose piece of rock you can try moving it, but don't pry it off.

If your anenome is stressed it will split to help preserve the species. How about some water test results.

My first guess would be time for a bulb change. Depending on he did. He had it for 5 months and then you for 4 months. So if the bulb wasnt changed a little before that then it would be time

Do you have his water test kits? Find out where the nitrates are on the tank. Also, if you could tell us a little bit about what kind of lights he has on the tank. For the moment i would do a water change. Keeping your water parameters in excellent condition is the best thing you can do to help the anemone recover right now.

Have you been feeding it at all? I recommend feeding them small pieces of shrimp or silver sides every 10 -14 days. Some people feed a little more some a little less but they do need meaty foods from time to time.

what sort of lighting is over this tank? is this anemone in a different tank than the one your brother kept it in?

Back
Top Bottom