Im worried about two of my fish, Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DRIFTER

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an naso tang that i have had for about 1 1/2 years.
I also have an empirial angel (juvenile about 3-4 inchecs) that i have had for about 3 months.

Both are acting normaly. eating ect. But i recently noticed that the tang has cloudy eyes with white dots. I dont see any other spots or anything anywhere else on him. What is this and what can i do?

The angel i have noticed that hid colors look like they are fading to white in blotchy sections all over his body. What is this and does it require action?

The only two things that have changed lately in my tank are about 2 months ago i added a refugium and it has cheatoe and mangroves (produced a ton of red algea in fuge)

And the other thing is i added a decorator crab and a red coris wrasse about two weeks ago. I havent seen the crab since the first day and the red coris hid under the sand for a week until i found him dead ( i guess from starvation)

Could very easily be the wrasse or any number of recent addition brought in something "unwanted". As yet though, I would hesitate to be sure exactly what without more evidence. The cloudy eye along with spots is definately suspicious and could be parasitic but could also just be a cloudy eye.

In the interim, I would do a few large water changes (aged/aerated 12-24 hrs first) over the next few days to help the eye and reduce DOC potentially feeding bacteria. In most cases of a simple eye injury this is often enough.

What do you feed the fish, how large is the tank and do you have access to a QT?

Cheers
Steve

Im sorry , i forgot to mention that it was both eyes on the tang that looked like this.

the tank is a 120gal and at the moment i do not have a qt tank handy.

I have been feeding them mostly flake foods and occationally frozen marine suprime. Do you think the fish bay just be lacking veggies in his diet? I always used to feed then with spinach on a clip but i stopped doing that about 2 months ago. lfs said to just use the marine suprime.

Aso note the red wrasse when dead didnt have any blemishes on him. I think he died of starvation or something internally.

DRIFTER said:
Im sorry , i forgot to mention that it was both eyes on the tang that looked like this.
More commonly this will be a bacterial infection. Proceed with the (large) water changes over the next week and get a QT set up. The problem is more often easily treatable but treatment cannot be performed in the main tank. There is a chance the water changes will work but barring that they will at least slow the progress if an infection.

I have been feeding them mostly flake foods and occationally frozen marine suprime. Do you think the fish bay just be lacking veggies in his diet? I always used to feed then with spinach on a clip but i stopped doing that about 2 months ago. lfs said to just use the marine suprime.
Fish must have vegetable matter in their diet no matter the species, tangs especially need it on a daily basis. Flake more often is not the greatest choice, depends on the brand/ingredient. As for the frozen, I would need to see the ingredient list (link?) of the manufacturer. Frozen is usually a better choice but some better than others. If cost is an issue, make your own blender mush, the edge there being you control the quality, ingredient and freshness. Try to ensure the tang gets veggie foods daily. Nori, broccoli, spinach or other dark green veggies. Just be sure terrestrial types are frozen first to break down the fibers making them easily digested. Try to choose prepared foods that are vitamin enriched and soak foods in a good quality marine vitamin for good measure.

Aso note the red wrasse when dead didnt have any blemishes on him. I think he died of starvation or something internally.
This particular wrasse (Coris gaimard?) does not acclimate well to captive life if still a very young juvenille. More commonly it dies of stress, not illness.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks steve i apreciate the advise.

Ok just two more questions:
1-what about the angel , he has blotches all over him where his color seems to be fading. Is that bad?

2- about a qt tank , can i use a 30 gal that i have set up rite now ? The only things in the 30 gal is live sand live rock and one trigger i put in there because he is mean. Can i use this as a qt tank? Im pretty shure nothing would happen to the trigger he is tough as nails.

Back
Top Bottom