In need of help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david.h

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In need of help!!! Ich advice!!!! Thank you!!!

I am very new to the website in fact this is my first post... I have a 55 gallon with 2 clown 1black and white the other is a orange and white, 2 decorator crabs, pom pom crab, few damsels, orange spotted goby and 2 condy anemomes. I added a small red volitan lion. The lion has seemed to catch ich which I had a problem with this when I added a emperor so I know my tank has ich. I need to know what to do? I was setting up a 45 cube that was just going to be for the lionfish and I am wondering If i set up a QT for the lion what the best way to treat in QT? Also I want to get rid of the ich in the main tank and I know this can take 6-8 weeks with no fish.. but if I move the other non affected fish to the 45 will that put ich in the 45? the other fish have been there for months and never a sign it only seems to be the new fish I add....please help

Last edited:
The lion had ich on it before it got to your tank. The salinity at the LFS was probably lower than yours and you didn't see the ich until you put the fish in the higher salinity.
The only way to be sure is to move all fish to the QT and treat all of them with hyposalinity. leave the tank fallow for a period of weeks. I think 6 or so, but I'm sure someone will chime in and give you a better idea.

so would I even move the ones to QT that has never had any signs? also I am not sure I want to try the hypo method was thinking copper in the QT?? I have a 45cube that I was setting up fr the lion should I move the unaffected fish to that and let the 55 go 6 weeks?? or will that give the 45 the same issue??? thank you for your input!

Copper is toxic. Hypo is a lot more gentle on the fish. Just lower it very slowly once the fish are in and you won't see any negative effects.
Ich needs a living host. If you don't treat all fish, there is a chance that some parasites are on them, even though they don't show signs, and this may resurface at a later time.

Back
Top Bottom