Injured Chromis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ouch! Definately an infection. I believe this is Reefrunner's specialty.

Kevin... Melafix??

Did you see anything picking on the fish? Has anything been stresing the fish? It could be several things, first things that come to mind are physical injury, bacterial infection or internal parasite.

If it is infected, (not quite inflamed enough for me to say), melafix is one option. For this type of thing, I typically use E-mycin. But I have never been a big fan of melafix, I am not sure if it is reef safe, but I will say this for it, I've never heard of anyone crashing their biological filter from melafix. That is also one of the reasons I don't care for it, I don't think it is not very strong and has been ineffective for me in the past. If you choose to medicate this fish, do so in a quarantine tank and monitor the ammonia and nitrites closely, being prepared to do water changes.

I'm wondering if it is something that was internal. When I placed the four Chromis into the tank, there was a dark spot on one and I think it was probably this one. It almost looked as if it was showing through the skin.

Do you think this is something contagious? Should I try to remove from the main tank? Oh boy, that could take a while. :cry:

I'm wondering if it is something that was internal. When I placed the four Chromis into the tank, there was a dark spot on one and I think it was probably this one.

That is certainly a possibility and would indicate some form of parasite. I am not familiar with all the parsitic worms, but it is possible that it was either under the scales or internal. Could also have been the site of a bacterial infection that ulcered.

Do you think this is something contagious? Should I try to remove from the main tank?

Absolutley, on both counts. If it is parasitic, it is most definitely contagious, if it is bacterial, then it is possibly contagious, either way the fish should be removed and observed.

Back
Top Bottom