Is it ok to add Kent Marine ProClear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a brand new tank that has nothing in it but saltwater and sand. I have not yet begun to cycle the tank, but the water has been really cloudy for a couple weeks now. My friend gave me some Kent Marine ProClear to add, but I wanted to make sure that it was safe to do this. What do you all think?

I have always believed that chemicals added to the tank should be a last resort :!: Medications for a sick fish excepted. If the tank is new, and not yet cycled, the cycling process will help clear the water, beneficial bacteria may take care of the problem. This problem may be better solved by examining your system. Please describe your tank, and filter, ph, substrate, etc.

My tank is a 60 gallon cube tank. I have a Berlin 75 sump, Excalibur protein skimmer, mag 5 drive pump, two maxijet 1200 powerheads, and 60 lbs of CaribSea aragonite sand. I have not tested the pH or anything else with the water chemistry (I was waiting to do this when I started cycling - which might be today as I am going to look at live rock at my lfs).

Cycle the tank and don't worry about it. As the nitrifying bacteria build up, you'll notice it clearing up. It is likely a rise in some form of nitrigen in the tank and a small bacterial bloom, in which case the proclear will do nothing anyway.

Thanks for the advice, reefrunner. I was going to get some liverock today and start cycling - but my lfs made me worry that something was abnormally wrong with my tank. So, after finals on Tuesday I will hopefully get to start cycling!! :multi:

It might be beneficial for me to mention that my cloudy water is not just slightly cloudy - it is majorly cloudy. Like, if I stick my hand in the tank and pull it away from the glass I can no longer see it at about two inches away. Is this still ok? Just go ahead with the cycle?

Yes, you have a bacterial bloom, and unless you want to do several complete water changes, or invest in a UV sterilizer, the only way to clear it up is going to be to get the beneficial bacteria in there and populated.

The cloudy /milky water may be a sign that you didn't rinse the sand enough. I would check to make sure all chem. levels are in good shape before you add lr. But if all levels are ok, add shrimp to start the cycle, and then you can add the lr later.

Back
Top Bottom