is it safe to raise temp to 86?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xahx

Aquarium Advice Freak
i got a purple tang
flame angel
misc corals
few gobys
shrimps crabs

Are these safe if i rasie the temp to 86 to kill ick?

depends for how long and how quickly u raise it, in any case 84 is the highest recomended temp, u could also lower salinity

what is the recommmended length of time i should do it for?

and if i raise it 1-2 degrees over night, does that sound like an ok plan?

If u change the salinity i would do it very slowly like 1.0023 to 1.0018 over a period of a week minimum if not 2 weeks.

temp as long as you dont go to high and again i think 86 is really pushing it i would do 1 degree every other day

xxmoorishmanxx:

I have read a couple of articles that caution against[/] the use of lowered salinity for corals and inverts in general. Can you provide an opinion here?

very stressful on your stock and will not do a thing to solve your problem.
Read here for better info.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html
Moved to sick fish forum

Agreed, the temp cure only works for FW, not SW. Ruby Reef's Kick Ick does work if you have a situation as to not being able to set up a QT. I used it in my 46, no deaths of any inverts and I have been without any hint of ick for a while. I don't recommend using anything in your display but I didn't have a choice, my qt is harboring a couple fugtives and I didn't want my good fish in there with them :mrgreen: .

midiman said:
Agreed, the temp cure only works for FW, not SW

Elevated temperature might, however, speed up the life cycle of the parasite, thus shortening the time needed to effect a cure.
Actually you will end up increasing the time the fish needs to be treated in the long run. 86° is the optimal temp in which C. irritans reproduces but it does nothing to break the lifecycle. In regards to fish in these temp's, it alters the pH of the fish's blood supressing their immune system. Even with a proper cure in place it allows the parasite more opportunity to infest a fish. Keep in mind that the parasite is only vulnerable during the theront stage. You also increase the instances of secondary infection caused by the actions of the trophonts which the fish might otherwise heal on it's own if the conditions remained optimal. You risk more than you solve. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom