Is my anemone dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rej1969

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My anemone recently dislodged itself from it's normal perch and is lying on it's side on the tank floor. It tentacles have turned lime green and are usually deep purple and a mojority of them are just hanging and not moving. The base of the anemone is bright orange and has not changed color. However, it has shrivelled up into a little ball and is not moving. My clown fish no longer goes near it or uses it for companionship.

your anemone is not happy with it's environment. That's why its dislodged itself from it's normal perch. It will keep moving around the tank until it happy with the new perch.

The anemone will start to disintegrate when it's dying.
Beside foods, anemone needs a very good water quality, medium water movement and medium to high intense light to survive.

My anemone always shrivel up at night, when the light is out, and open up again in the morning.

I think I would be a little more concerned than tamren. An anenome will traverse your tank if it feels the need, but if it has simply "fallen off" the rock and has not moved then there may be more severe problems.

Can you give us some info about your tank? Size (in gallons), Lighting (type and wattage) and water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity, PH)

My Sea Anemone

...I recently bought an anemone for my tank...I have been very concerned with it late tho...it doesn't seem to be very "alive"...I feed it frozen brine shrimp every few days and all my fish seem to be fine but it it always like shrivelled up kinda and not very active...I have a pic I took of it here...http://home.cfl.rr.com/youenvymysin/anemone.jpg ...any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated...thanks[/url]

how long has your tank been set up. from the looks of it you have a diatom bloom on your substrate. has the tank been set up for more than six months. the reason i ask is because anemones usually do not do the best in new tanks. they need a more established tank with less fluctuations in water quality and such. also you could try hand feeding the anemone uncooked shrimp and see how it responds.

I would say that your tank is in no way, shape or form, ready to handle an anemone... That is diatoms, which suggest a new setup... I fear that the anemone does not stand a chance if this is the case...

damnit....all the people in the fish shops around here told me that my tank would be fine ith oen now :x , how can i get rid of the diatoms?...

Well, The diatoms will subside as the tank matures... You can get some blue hermits and astrea snails and they will eat it... How old is the tank?

the tank is about 5 months ld...I have a little "anemone crab?"...the guy at Mr Petman said it like lives near/in the anemone and eats the little particles off of the tentacles that the anomones does not eat...i dunno...I'm starting to think some of the people around here don';t know too much about fish =o|

I also just got a bigger tank that I want to use for my saltwater, any advice on how to do a tank change without killing everything in tha tank?...or should I just replace my freshwater one with the bigger one and save myself the hassle4?...thanks again

Back
Top Bottom