Is my clownfish ill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IhaveNemos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off, nice to meet you all, it's my first post here!

I just started a new saltwater tank ( my first), its somewhere around 30-35gallons. I figured I would start small before going all out :lol:

My problem is my one clownfish has been in the top of a corner, head down for a few days. He seems to eat well, and seems curious if I put a finger against the glass etc. He will swim right over and take a look, seems to be swimming fine.

The water seems alright chem-wise, temp is 76F.

Is he just being a goofball...or is he sick? I have another clown and a damselfish who seem alright.

I forgot some info.

The tank has been running for a week and a half. I followed all the setup recommendations.

I use a UGF filter with 2 small airstones and a tank side one as well. The tank side one has a carbon bag and the foam filter.

Ok here goes it. Ugf filters are not good in saltwater tanks. It will cause problems down the line. Second, if your tank has only been up for a week and a half, your fish are probably having problems with ammonia or nitrite. It takes 2 to 4 weeks to cycle a tank and you should never use fish to cycle and if you do you should be using the cheapest fish you can. Who gave you these "setup recommendations"?
Three fish in a 30 that hasn't cycled is a recipe for disaster. Do you have a test kit and if so what are your water test results? Welcome to this site and you can find everything you need to know somewhere in here. Do lots of research and reading and it will help enormously. Post your test results and someone here will let you know how bad it is. And any other tank specs you have, such as, substrate type etc.

I was told at the pet store to get my water salinated, let sit for 2 days, add the substrate and let that settle for 2 days. Then add fish ( hardy ones).

My nitrate is 0ppm, nitrite between 0-.5ppm, alkalinity is about 180-240, and pH close to 8.4. Im using Mardel test strips.

I don't have a ammonia tester :oops: I'll get that ASAP tomorrow morning when the store opens. I was under the impression that it would self regulate in a week or 2. Im pretty embarassed now.

I'll also remove the UGF filter. Should I add another tank side one, or another method? I have a 300gph underwater pump lying around I used for my computer h20 cooling. I could get that going somehow.

Thanks for your time!

The in water pump will help your circulation. What type and number of hob filter are you using right now? How many gallons per hour does it turn over? If your nitrite is there your ammonia is probably pretty high.

I got talking to a gentleman at the fish store today, he thought my clownfish might be getting bullied because of territories. He had me remove the damselfish for a while in a temporary tank, then swap the rocks etc. around in my tank and add a few more.

The clown seems to be doing ok, he seemed to stake out a fake coral "tree" I have..and seems normal. The damselfish has claimed the backside of another rock.

He compared it to " 3 kids, 2 Snickers bars and a Mars bar...everyone wants the Mars bar"...very helpful.

The in water pump will help your circulation. What type and number of hob filter are you using right now? How many gallons per hour does it turn over? If your nitrite is there your ammonia is probably pretty high.

It's an Aquaclear 200, its the only one I have. A web search gave me this info:

AquaClear "200" Power Filter
- Maximum Output: 200 U.S. Gal. (757 l) per hour
- Full Flow Control: 66 U.S. Gal. (250 l) per hour
- Power Consumption: 6 W
- Maximum Aquarium Capacity: 50 U.S. Gal. (189 l)

I have it running at the high rate, are you thinking I need more or better?

Once again, as previously mentioned, your tank has not cycled yet. This process takes upwards of about a month. During this time, all fish will be swimming in the equivalent of a toxic waste dump. You will be lucky if 50% survive. You have not even begun to get to the levels of ammonia and nitrite that you will experience. There is a quite simple method of fishless tank cycling which consists of tossing a couple of cocktail shrimp in the tank and letting nature take its course. It is best for the fish to take them all back to the store for later credit and cycle your tank in the fishless method.

Back
Top Bottom