is my new coral sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbytomarines

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got my coral yest and was doing great ad it looked like this before I went to sleep

ForumRunner_20130815_082130.jpg

This morning it looked like so I tarket fed it and there is still no better looking

ForumRunner_20130815_082238.jpg

ForumRunner_20130815_082245.jpg

As a new hobbiest am I worring too much

It's not a coral, it's an anemone. It will close at night after lights out that's normal. They do require intense lighting though so hopefully you have the right kind. Just keep an eye on it if its new to the tank it might start to move around to find the spot that suits it.

No, you don't need to feed corals, they should be alright with the right lighting and water conditions. You can cause more problems over feeding your tank of you feed to much. Don't get confused though, this is not a coral. An anemone is an invertebrate. He just looks like he is upside down, did he fall off the glass? If that's the case then pop him back the right way up on a rock. They like a lot of light and a lot of flow. You didn't say what kind of lights you have?

I keep putting him on the top stone but he keeps going to the sand, I put himself inside out, but he looking alot better now, he has open uo again, they are t5 lighting and there two white lights and 2blue lights and twk led blue night lights,

ForumRunner_20130815_113937.jpg

As u can see he starting to open up

Yeah he doesn't look happy at all. So it is new to the tank, is it the first day? How did you acclimate it? Is your tank new? I can't remember if you have already told us what your levels are at?

Yesin 25hrs, I added my water into the bag over 3hours and the I used a net to place it on the stone bit it didmove right away, ph is a bit low at 8.0 and everything else is spot on,
Hoping it is just adapting to his new home as ot alot biger tank,

Yeah could be, I am always nervous adding a nem to a tank, they can move a lot in the first few days and I have loads of corals too, that they can sting along the way! Hopefully it settles soon. Don't try and feed it anymore, that can stress it out.

I have read that so this is why this is my first addidtion abart from 2small free loads that came with my sea arciant, (some grean thing and a mushroom frag)
So hopefully he has plenty of room to find were he likes best

You have a 4 bulb t5?? If so that's not enough light for a nem. And your tank is how old? Nems in general should only be added to a tank at least a year old or one with pristine water conditions that don't fluctuate. You might want to find him a new home.

Age of your tank plays a huge part in keeping anemones...And they don't like large temp swings...How old is your tank?

Thanks everyone for ur advice!
I had this tank six months, however is was an ex disply tank in my lfs which they had for a year! They used it for cleanners! I was taking it real slow, my fish look healthy and my freeby the mushroom has doubled in size in a week! I hooe it looks better soon, I got this with the hope of getting pair of clowns in a week are two, wanted them to feel like they had there own space

Hello everyone I think my new addition after a eeek is looking alot gealtier, with a new bulb and lowering the phosphate level it seem to do the trick, it still dont look perfect is there anything else I can do to help the process along?

ForumRunner_20130820_211550.jpg

I also got this toad stool I think my lfs stire called ut and it seels to be adapting well, do I need to feed this coral or will it be ok??

ForumRunner_20130820_211720.jpg

I got 2common clown fish very young hoping they would host either of them but so far they are not interested in them hope they will soon

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130820_211533.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130820_211533.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 70
The only thing you can so is try and keep those parameters stable. Test regularly if you can, at least every couple of days. You don't want any fluctuations in particular temp and salinity - can you check those often? I used to keep a nem under 4 54w t5 and it wasn't enough, it also added a couple of degrees to my temp and that was on a 55g so I switched to LEDs...

Back
Top Bottom