Is the leather dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pjones0221

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had this leather for about a month now, and it has only opened a few time. During the time I've had it, I have switch from crap lights to new hydra52s. That was a week ago and the leather hasn't opened since. I was wondering if it is dead or just taking a long vacation :/.

Water:

Cal 460
Salinity 1.025
Alk 8.4
Ph 8.2
Mag 1100
Phosphate 0.02

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418353873.884308.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418353893.039647.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418353900.989655.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It isn't dead, just upset. Did you acclimate the tank to the new lights at all? It is probably the issue, going from almost no light to a ton of light. Think being in a dark room and opening it up to a bright sunny day in the middle of December. Basically the same effect on your coral. It takes time to adjust and you should have the new lighting turned down and slowly turned up a week at a time.

I have the lights on 25% power and on coral acclimation mode. All the other corals are flourishing, except this one.

How is the flow to it? One thing leathers do is pull their polyps in for a day or two sometimes as they shed a layer. It is something they do to, what I have been told, prevent parasite issues.

It shed about a week ago and hasn't done it since. Flow is a combination of different strengths as I have it on a controller that changes it up. But it does get a range of flows throughout the day.

leathers are sensitive to phosphates they like clean water also sudden changes in lighting
will affect how a leather reacts ,I would try to stick to 1 flow pattern it may be confused with different forces of flow

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418419405.273390.jpg

I have the two big head on either side alternating ever 6 hrs.

Then there are four on the back wall that are always on.

That's my flow chart.

leathers are sensitive to phosphates they like clean water also sudden changes in lighting
will affect how a leather reacts ,I would try to stick to 1 flow pattern it may be confused with different forces of flow

Any idea? This is how it looks now.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418670753.883515.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418670769.563587.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418670791.184474.jpg

Back
Top Bottom