lawnmower blenny not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had him for about a week and a half....he grazes on the rocks, but I'm not sure if he's getting enough to eat? I've tried nori, spirulina flakes, and formula two. Thoughts?

How did you feed the Blenny Nori? I put my Nori on a clip and see the Blenny in the next day or two munching on it...(I have a Starry Blenny). That might help...

yeah, I put it on a clip really for my tang....but bits fly off around the blenny and he has nothing to do with it.....

BTW, I forgot to mention that I also soak foods in garlic and selcon...

Do you think he's getting enough just by grazing on the rock?

I've never been able to get one to eat prepared foods. They eat the green film algae that grows on the glass and rocks. If your worried he's not getting enough, try not cleaning the glass for a few days so the algae can grow some. I would only clean mine about twice a week and my lawnmower blenny loved it. He would leave what looked like kiss marks all over the glass where he'd been grazing. Good luck.

thanks fluff, that helps a lot.....I have planty of algae without cleaning the glass for a couple days..

You could try some live brine. Does the stomach look pinched? If not, he might be getting enough to eat. Some liquid vitamin C will stimulate the appetite. Good luck!

KG

A Lawnmower Blenny does not need to be fed anything additional, all it needs is the algae on the rocks, etc. That's his job, be glad for it.

Except sometimes that Blenny eats all the algae, and will need to be given other types of food along with the algae provided in the tank to stay healthy.

Not all blennies eat hair algea and what we are talking about is what to do when the algea runs out. Trying to figure out how to keep them from starving to death when it does run out.

No worries, my Blennie took a few months of pickin at everthing before he started on prepared foods. Now (believe it or not) he hangs around at the top of my 30" tank at feeding time with my Angel and Tang. :) waiting for the marine cruisine.

garlic guard added to food makes all fish and infact all life (corals, inverts) in my tank go on a feeding frenzy, only my snowflake eel wont touch it.

Back
Top Bottom