Lawnmower blenny problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdig

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just replaced a disappearing firefish with a lawnmower blenny. About a week after I added the blenny my Squamosa clam & all mushrooms closed up tightly. The clam will open slightly when the lights are on but it definately does not look normal. It's a 20gal reef tank that has been up and running for about 2 years with all inhabitants living healthy. The only recent change was the blenny addition after my firefish disappeared. All tank parameters have been within spec for the past 2 years. My calcium was slightly low after I added the clam but I upped the dosage of my calcium supplementation & now it's fine. I also have a hammer coral, pagoda, leather, candycane, zoos & gonopora which are all fine. It's just the clam & mushrooms that are a problem. I haven't seen the blenny picking at anything. Do you think he's bothering the clam & mushrooms and I just haven't seen it? Any advice would be appreciated. (I also did two 5gal water changes over the first week after I noticed a problem)

If you could do some water checks and post the results it would help. That clam and those corals need excellent water conditions. How often do you usually do PWC`c. They are not for only when your tank is in trouble. IMO weekly ones are in order for a reef tank. I`m wondering if the disapearing fish might have something to do with it. Hope all goes well

I do a 3 gal/week water change with RO/DI water from a filter set up in my basement. I haven't lost a living thing in the 2 years due to poor tank conditions. (I actually think the firefish jumped thru a hole in the eggcrate & my dog ate it. It was there one day & gone the next)

test results from this past Friday

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate undetectable by test kit- thanks to HOB refugium
phosphate undectectable
ph 8.1
calcium 380
dkh 7
temp 78

I know ph, calcium, dkh may be considered on the low side by some but it has been this way for 2 years.

Jdig said:
I know ph, calcium, dkh may be considered on the low side by some but it has been this way for 2 years.

Your PH is fine. Stability is the name of the game. I would consider your calcium good enough

Back
Top Bottom