lawnmower blenny won't eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a lawnmower blenny a few days ago -- of course there is no algae in the QT. He won't accept any foods that I've tried and is looking incredibly thin. He's losing his color. What's the preferred food for getting them to eat? I don't have any spare LR to put in with him for him to graze on.

Thanks.

austinsdad said:
What foods have you tried?

Dried seaweed, flakes, and a frozen meat/algae mix.

I've got some spirulina (sp?) coming in the mail, but it will probably take a couple more days to get here.

Most lawnmower blennies won't eat a prepared food. Is there areas in the tank for him to hide? Unfortunately, this is one of those fish that need an established tank, rather it be QT or main. Maybe you could pick, up another piece of LR for the QT tank. IME, algae seems to grow better in areas of natural sunlight so placing the QT near a window to get direct sunlight may help get some film algae started. So long as he's strong enough to hold out til the algae gets started. You may have to consider adding him to your main tank and hope he's not carrying something. :?

I have to agree with Fluff about putting him in your main tank. It's not the best of options, but for fish like that it would probably be best. This is assuming you have plenty of algae in your main tank.

Back
Top Bottom