Laying eggs or sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My clown has a very distended belly (right where she well...poops). She is a very large maroon clown. She dosen't seem sick but she has been less active and stays in one area. My LFS suggested she was probabally ready to lay eggs or constipated since no scales were sticking out. Thought I'd double check here. Thanks! Oh and no male is present just her (but the LFS said it is still a probability). I feed many different foods and lots of greens so I am a bit stumped. I have pics to email anyone who requests them.

Well I need to take different pics now because it looks worse today. Unfortunately I don't think she's laying eggs now : (

Doubtful on the "egg" theory. If you feed the fish primarily meaty foods, this can be a common issue in clowns (many fish species). It could also be a bacterial problem if the food is strored improperly/too old. Any sign of feces excresion at all and if so, what color?

If the clown is eating well otherwise, mash some slightly soften peas into the next feeding. It should grease the pipes well enough to release the blockage. Don't put it off, as the blockage grows it will start to affect the swim bladder.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom