Let's talk copper . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcquillian

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here's a question for the most experienced . . . .

My LFS always tells me not to put their water in with mine when I bring home a new fish due to the fact that they use copper in their water.

Now, I know that copper will kill my crab, but let say you had a FISH ONLY tank - what could be the implications then? I am assuming bacteria and disease?

Secondly, If I have a FISH ONLY tank, why would I not add amounts of copper to the water to help prevent disease? If they (LFS) do it - why can't I?

Discuss . . .

Thanks.

Mcquillan
Most fish stores run small amts of copper...some run the amts so low that is does no good while others run the proper "treatment" amt. And no you should never mix their water into yours. Not only for the copper reason but also for parasites and such reasons. You will see copper used by LFS in FO tanks with no inverts. You say that its a FO right now (just like I did) and then later down the line you will want a reef or inverts. If there are trace amts or you are running copper all the time, you cant have inverts or a reef. Plus some coppers will seep into the pores of the sealant on your tank and cant be removes. This is why you need to set up a QT before putting the fish in the main tank so you dont have to worry about disease. Some time ago I bought a regal tang that was in a copper fed tank at the LFS. They swore to me that the tang was clean and had been in the copper to ensure that he was clean. Took him home and gut feeling, put him in QT and 2 weeks later had ick....bottom line, trust no one and QT!!

Yes you do not fish store water in your tank.
If you qt your new arrivals, this would take the worry out of this. The copper in the LFS water would be the last of my worries with this. I would be more concerned about diseases.
Also, even if you have a FO tank, you don't want copper in the water. Copper is for a short term treatment and should only be used in a qt setting.
Long term exposure to copper can be deadly for fish.

So, do the both of you advicate using a QT tank for new fish before you introduce them to the main tank? If so, can you direct me to any articles on how to establish a QT tank?

I am wondering if this can help me cure my Koran who has a tiny amount of Lympho. It has been getting better over time, but this sound like the correct plan for new fish and trying to cure sick fish as well. Thanks for your input.

mcquillian said:
So, do the both of you advicate using a QT tank for new fish before you introduce them to the main tank? If so, can you direct me to any articles on how to establish a QT tank?

I am wondering if this can help me cure my Koran who has a tiny amount of Lympho. It has been getting better over time, but this sound like the correct plan for new fish and trying to cure sick fish as well. Thanks for your input.
TerryB seems to have that covered. Yes, you should qt all new arrivals. I learned the hard way.
As for Lympho, it is a virus and copper or any other drug will do nothing for it. Keeping water quality high is the best you can do. From what I understand it is not contagious.

Back
Top Bottom