Long tenical anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paddlefoot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help my anemone is acting strange it is not opening up as much as it used to and it's mouth is wide open is this common or do you think it's sick?

Attachments

• image-1595095586.jpg
    image-1595095586.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 166
Water parameters are within the norm had water tested today at the LFS and they said it was good a little low on salinity so I added sitting right at 1.024 the tank is new about two months old that's why there's no coraline yet lighting is not the best but but a good start

Yes I've heard that as well but then I've heard of people putting them in after just a few cycles we will see I here if they do die they will kill everything in the tank which worries me

You've heard of people putting anemones under bad lighting and in newly cycled tanks? Where the heck did you read this? That's basically the opposite educate to keeping anemones.

It could just be the picture, but to me, looking at the tint of the picture i can already tell you don't have good enough lighting to keep a nem. Would you care to give us the exact type of lighting system you have? T5HO, NO, VHO, Metal Halide, LED's... We will be the judge of how good your lights are and if they can support your anemone.

I'm not even going to get in to the water parameters subject because it's all futile anyways. It already sounds to me like you don't know what you are doing and the LFS got away with another sale. Sorry to be harsh.

I have t5 lighting 96w I believe two atinic and six 10k I will take a pic you can tell me please I am a total nubb when it comes to saltwater equipment I appreciate all the advice oh btw the fixture is a current USA fixture

Attachments

• image-3614566023.jpg
    image-3614566023.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 144
Well the lighting you pictured is for sure strong enough for an anemone, how big is the tank? My guess is you added the anemone to early and your tank is just not ready for one. How do you feed it?

The tank is 125g I have fed it mysis and silversides he was in the tank for 4 days I've pulled him out and put him in a QT for now

Well actually, at first i was going to say that your lighting system definitely was strong enough, but then you brought up the fact that you have a 125G tank. That's a BIG tank for only 96watts of T5HO light. I had 324Watts of T5 over my 55G alone. I HIGHLY doubt that your lighting system is sufficient enough to keep an anemone, sadly. You are definitely going to want to upgrade your lighting system, or return the nem. It will most likely wither away in your tank, or continue to move around until it gets torn apart in a powerhead or something.

One more thing. I could be totally wrong, but judging by how close each of those bulbs are to each other, it looks like you have PC lighting, not T5. See, each T5 usually is separated from each bulb and is under it's own reflector. Whether the bulb has it's own reflector or it's one large reflector just bent to mimic having separate reflectors for each bulb. In PC lighting, there's usually two bulbs very close together, almost like they are touching each other. Are you sure those are T5HO's? Either way, your lighting is not strong enough to house a nem in a 125G tank. Sorry.

See, here's what PC bulbs look like:
3348dfr.jpg

And here's what T5HO bulbs look like:
wrnqj8.jpg

It's pretty obvious which ones your bulbs look like the most.

Yes your right they are def PC looks like I am def gonna have to upgrade, will the pc be enough for coral for now till I upgrade?

Well.. All coral need light to survive, as they are photosynthetic. Some of them a non-photosynthetic, but i doubt he has any of those because most need a ton of care to survive in a reef tank.

I think... with that light you have you may be able to keep softies. But that's about it. A 96W PC light over a 125G tank is like having a Normal Fluorescent fixture over a 55G tank. There's hardly any coverage, and the PAR is terrible. But since it IS PC lighting and not Normal Output, you may be able to keep some softies. But i wouldn't count on those lights sustaining much else.

Can you please give me the dimensions of your 125G tank? Then we will be able to direct you to the correct lighting solution. You will most likely either want to go T5HO or Metal Halide. LED's for a tank that size would be supremely expensive, and PC's are just useless on it. Unless you wanted to use them as actinic supplementation. But if you have the T5's you don;t need PC's at all.

Hmm... Well, with a tank that long you are going to want to with a 72" fixture, if you want complete coverage and the ability to put coral wherever you please.

I would go in to sites such as these:

Aquarium Lighting , Fish Tank Lighting, LED, Metal Halide, T5, VHO, PC, fluorescent Lighting & moonlights, Reef Tank Lighting, Saltwater aquarium Lighting, Discount Aquarium Lighting, Marine tank lights
Aquarium Lighting For Aquarium Lighting System Aquarium Lighting Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting Marine Aquarium Lighting Hood Aquarium Light Coralife Aqualight Current USA Lighting Reef Aquarium Lighting
Aquarium Lighting & Fish Tank Lights | Marine Depot

Or ebay,

and then decide on which type of lighting system you want to use, and then let us know what you choose and we can tell you whether or not the light will be sufficient for what you want. Look for 72 inch light fixtures.

Thanks I appreciate your help I will definitely keep you informed thanks again

No problem. Definitely keep us informed on what you want to do. We are always here to help. :)

take the nem bak and sort out ur lighting and let ur tank establish first ur just going to end up killing him.

Back
Top Bottom