Looks like powder on fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deanp88

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a question about something on my clown Trigger fish. I know that ich looks like small pen sized dots on the fins and gills but this looks like baby powder on him. I have had him for about a month and he has been fine. I did not quarintine him because I am new and did not realize that was standard procedure (just finished setting up QT tank tonight). Any idea what it may be?

That is a fast acting disease I believe. I think this trigger has had signs for about 4 days and he is the only one. Would marine velvet work faster than that? I also have a damsel that is mainly white his white area has darkened. I apoligize for the bad description, I don't see color that well and I haven't asked the family for a good color description. The trigger is eating a lot (as usual) but may have been doing some scraping against the rocks, not sure.

Trigger is in the QT tank being treated. I noticed this 3-4 days ago. He has still been eating. If it was marine velvet, would he still be alive? I thought it killed faster than that?

My blue tang always gets like a white powder on him. But its only just sand. Its gone within 1-2 hours after i see him.

If the fish develop marine velvet in the main display tank then I assume all fish are at risk. What is standard procedure to rid main tank of marine velvet? Does it have to set fish free for awhile and how long? Does it need torn down? Thanks!!

Look at the fins nearest the gills. Can you see specks on them? Ick starts on the skin and spreads to the gills. Velvet starts in the gills and spreads. That's why it kills faster since it starts in the gills where it isn't evident for a while.

When I had velvet some 7 years ago in my then new tank, it killed about 9 fish inside of 2 weeks. The fish that lived was goby, a mandarin, and some chromis I think. Been so long. I did add soome velvelt treatment that made the water turn yellowish for a day or so. The coral, inverts, and remaining fish lived. I can't remember the solution though! Besides, I got lucky I think. I added fish a lot more slowly after that and maintaind my water quality a lot better.

I was new, excited, and adding stuff every 3-5 days. Phosphates and salinity was all over the place. Fish were VERY stressed. Did you do anything similar????? :)

Back
Top Bottom