lost fish to powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 3yo daughter yelled for me to come see the fish that something was wrong. I went to qt and the foxface's mouth was stuck in the powerhead. I had a sponge covering the intake area but apparently there was a small hole (pencil eraser size) on the bottom of sponge. And that is where the mouth was stuck. I pulled the fish off and right now he is on the bottom on the tank not moving much. It looks like his eye was injured and maybe a fin. I don't think he is going to make it.

My question is should I move the scissor tail goby out of qt and put in main. They have been in qt since aug 26th. approx 3 weeks. They both were doing and looking good.

Crystal

Usually if a fish is healthy powerheads don't pose a threat. Its when they are already weak from some other illness or something that they get stuck to powerheads. Did you just move these fish out of your qt? I would leave the goby in the qt for now untill you make sure there isn't a problem with the water quality in your main or something strage like that.

Like Pat said, a healthy fish will not get sucked into a powerhead. The fish had to have been sick and weak.

I agree scrmom. He may have been eating off the sponge but a healthy fish could have got away. Did he look sick or weak lately?

sad, I had something similar happen. The intake cover on the bottom of my powerhead fell off and my little pearlscale goldfish apparently went up to investigate.... When I turned it off and pulled him out one of his eyes was gone and blood had filled the gill/face area. I had to euthanize him. :( I felt so bad! My other pearscale (his friend) died during my move from Wisconsin to Denver. Rest in Peace Lord & Lady Hui :p

Had you just moved the fish from the qt tank in the last day or two? Do you have other fish in your main tank?

Back
Top Bottom