lost my crab :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raker333

Aquarium Advice Activist
It seems my emerald crab has decided to take a big sleep.
I dont think he fully recovered from the heat spike I had a few days ago.

Temp got up to 85
Hermits still doing ok though
Has anyone lost any livestock to heat?

I would not think 85 degree temp is the cause of death. How fast did you lower your temp? I just took 3 emeralds to the LFS Sunday. If you lived closer I could hook you up.

I ran my tank as high as 84 all summer long and have 3 emeralds and they are fine..Are you sure they didnt molt?
Also I now run my tank 77-78.

Update!!!

Well it seems that the 2 stickon temp guages I have really are horrific and useless
Went out and dropped some money on a digital one with a probe

Temp is 87.6!!!
I dont know if it is right 8O
Heater is off, powerhead is off, as is skimmer.
only biowheel going. will update when I get back from work tonight.
Might have to start lookign at a chiller... (Shouldnt need one withe a 29gal!!!)
I think I will get the temp to 80 and then start turning stuff on to see who the culprit is.

You might want to check your thermometer...something doesnt sound right. What type of thermometer are you using? Its going to take a LOT to get your temp that high. I have VHO lights right next to my water and in the summer mine doesnt get anywhere close to that...especially in Tx. Try putting a small fan next to the tank if the problem persists. I would however run to Petsmart and buy and $6 digital thermometer and make sure of the temp. Its easy to cool them down with a fan or two.

What is your room temp? What kind of lights do you have. Just a guess but if it is correct your heater is the only thing I could think of that would cause it to go up that much.

Standard CF lighting
Room temp is 72
Thermometer is AcuRite indoor/Outdoor with submersible probe
With everything off (except biowheel) temp goes down to 81
Sitting at 80.7 right now.
I am guessing that the heaters temp setting is inaccurate
Because 77 is not 77 hehehe
Unplugged heater and turned skimmer and pwerhead on for 4 hours temp stayed constant.
Leaving heater off tonight, will see what the readings are in the morning

Will let you guys know...

but it has the indoor temp correct
Maybe an issue with the probe
Going to get a new one (Different MFG) tonight

Raker333....
I would caution on leaving the heater off over night...why dont you simply turn the heater down a notch from where it is. Or even 2 nothes...if it IS the heater and you turn if off, your going to have a temp swing for sure. My glass heater than Im replacing now is set on 76...however my water seems to stay around 78-79...the inside temp is 68-69..so each heater is different...thus me trying a metal titanium heater as I have heard they are more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom