Lost my Yellow Eye Kole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

90gallon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just cleaned my tank yesterday and came home today to find my kole floating. Not sure what happened. He was eating fine and swimming around before I cleaned the tank. As I cleaned the tank he hid and that was the last I seen of him. All I did was use a gravel cleaner to empty 15% of my tank and scrubbed the rock with a softtoothbrush to get rid of some of the algae. Water parameters are fine. Any idea what may have happened or what I could do in the future so I don't lose another kole. I do have a Koran angel in the tank and he is doing fine....Thanks for the help.

Did you disturb the sand bed alot? Was the Kole tang displaying any problems before the cleaning?

You said you did some scrubbing of your LR that could of cause some ammonia to a raise?

The Kole was just fine prior to the cleaning; he was swimming around and eating... Now I did disturb the sandbed quite a bit...Could that be what caused me to lose the kole? Should I not scrub the rocks to get rid of the algae? Thanks again for the input

You should test the water to see if anything happened. How long ago was the rock scrubbing, sand removing exercise? Might be too late, but do it anyway IMO.

I think if you moved to much sand and with the scrubbing of your LR you might of cause a huge ammonia spike in your system to cause the death.... But it could have been something else... I would also test just like Austinsdad mentioned.... JMO....

Moving the sandbed around will cause a big ammonia spike. Might have been the problem but you said all your parameters were OK.

I'm pretty sure now that I probably stirred up the sandbed too much which resulted in the loss... What is the best way to to clean the aquarium with the Python No spill, I'm obviously doing it wrong? At the same time get rid of the algae on the rocks during routine maintenance....

I personally dont think it was the scrubbing of the rock if you did it with a small brush like a toothbrush. Why dont you get a clean up crew for your sand. They will do all the work. I have not cleaned my sand in yrs. How about a sand sifting goby or some nassirus snails. Let you clean up crew do the work.

Thanks for the suggestions...I have some shrimp and turbo snails right now but I'll get nasirius snails and goby here soon....

Any advice on not stirring things up so much as I use the Python clean n' fill (video, articles, etc..)?

If you have sand I would not even Siphon anything up from the sand unless there is tons of Algae on it... But I only skim the top of the sand bed so there is not a huge mess.... I also do not use the actual Siphon Tube itself just put the hose in as normal and is sucks up whatever I need to get off.... The Tube in the past for me did not get every thing I need to get up So I ditched it.... Whatever Algae is left I just leave it for my Clean up Crew to munch on....

Back
Top Bottom