Macro algea turning white

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristy3693

Aquarium Advice Freak
The macro algae I have in my DT 35 gallon is turning white. I was thinking for awhile that it was new growth, now almost all of it is white and really soft. Does anyone know why this is? Tomorrow I am going to run test to see. I have soft corals and all the color is fine. Keep my white LEDs on 7 hrs a day, run them at about 75%. Thanks for your help!

It sort of looks like that. When I started my tank a friend gave me a handful to start. This is what it looked like when it was green. I will get some pics in the morning when of it being white. It is really soft to the touch too, almost desinagrating (spelling sucks).

Attachments

• image-4075266841.jpg
    image-4075266841.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 88
This is what it looks like now.

Attachments

• image-2591513681.jpg
    image-2591513681.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image-132318537.jpg
    image-132318537.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 83
Remove it that's grape culepra and when it turns white like that it releases nitrates back into your water

While it has been white? It turned really fast, maybe a week. But it was in there for about 4 months being green. Why did it turn white?

I am not sure for your particular macro.. But i know many type of macro "melts" and will completely disintegrate into the system and then a period of time later it will reappear growing on your rock in all sorts of places that are suitable for it to grow. That may be what is happening.. It usually starts to happen within a few days of putting it in the tank though.

In my 35 gal, I have it I the display, but there is three small chambers in the back, there is one place I can put some in. I will take a pic.

Ann, I can't get a picture of back there too close to the wall. But you get the idea. So either way is fine for me, I do like those mermaid tails, I think that is what they are called.

Are you talking about a bio-cube type setup? Because if you are i would not advise putting macro in that back section as the macro will need plenty of light. It will turn white and die just as what you are already experiencing if it doesnt.

Back
Top Bottom