Marine Fish Plague

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Around Friday I lost my Psychedilic Mandarinfish really quicly, one minute he seemed ok but has a clear slime like ooze coming off him. Later that day my clownfish became covered in what looked like a mild case of ich. The next morning my coral beauty was covered in what looked like ich, and his eyes were totally clouded over., and he seemed to have patches of a velevety fungus. Also he was swimming upside down.

On Sunday both my Coral Beauty and Eibli Angel that I have had for years were dead, and my clownfish were well on thier way. They died this morning, all afflected with small ich like spots and a weird patchy but almost tumor like fungus. In addition to the fungus they all had clouded over eyes.

I removed the purple tang for ich a while back, he is being treated with Copper and Pima Fix. Also the water's salinity is at 1.016 .

I dont know what is plaguing the fish in my reef tank. The Royal Gramma, Six Line Wrasee, Green Chromis and Firefish all seem rather immune to whatever this disease is. It seems like if a fish is spotted with it, literally only hours later they are dead. My corals seem ok. So far I have taken the following actions...

Added Ruby Reef Kick Ich and Pima Fix.

Since this is a reef tank I am assuming that any other medications would be negative to add, for now all of the sick looking fish have died with the exception of the lawnmower blenny, he looks rather ill.

Any suggestions on what action to take from here, and what to do to make sure when I add new fish they dont die suddenly from whatever has plagued my tank.

I tested all the levels and here are the readings.

Calcium: 500
Nitrite: 0.0 ppm
Nitrate: Less than .5 ppm
PH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 76 degrees F

Any ideas would be greatly appreceated since this has been a terrible tragedy!

What was the last fish added and how long ago? It sounds like either marine velvet or Brooklynella. Both can be quite a fast killer if not treated immediately. The meds you are using in the main will have no affect on either of these.

I removed the purple tang for ich a while back, he is being treated with Copper and Pima Fix. Also the water's salinity is at 1.016 .
Bring your SG level back up some. With copper treatments you shouldn't drop too low or it can cause severe stress. 1.019-1.021 SG is low enough. Increase no more than 0.001/day.

Cheers
Steve

steve,

the last fish I added was the Purple tang and a mandarin blenny. The purple tang is making a pretty good recovery showing less and less white spots daily. I will raise the salinity back up to where you recommeneded, I have it up to 1.017 now.

After reading into velvet I am assuming that is what is causing this. Are there any treatments reef safe that would take care of the parasite. Since there are barely any fish in there now I was assuming I would do lots of partials in hopes of erradicating the remaining protoza.

I wanted to add a UV sterilizer to my tank, would this help with the velvet parasite??

macman7010 said:
Are there any treatments reef safe that would take care of the parasite.
No, the best treatment for velvet is copper which must only be done in a proper QT.

Since there are barely any fish in there now I was assuming I would do lots of partials in hopes of erradicating the remaining protoza.
Unfortunately this is one problem you can't "dilute". As long as fish remain, the life cycle of the parasite will continue.

I wanted to add a UV sterilizer to my tank, would this help with the velvet parasite??
This is one piece of equipment that really only offers false hope in regards to parasites. It may indeed reduce the dinospores of Amyloodiniosis within the water column but it won't erradicate it. The only way to do that is remove all fish and treat accordingly. Without treatment it is always fatal. :(

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=46

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

If I remove all of my fish from the tank, and let it sit for a while will the parasite eventually die off from lack of a host?

Yes, leaving the main tank fallow for 3-4 weeks will allow the parasite to die off naturally. Introducing all new fish via QT will help ensure this never happens again.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

I typically do quarentine new arrivals, although my quarentine tank had a sick tang in it when I got the blenny that I suspect caused this outbreak. It was a gift and I didnt want the person who got it for me to be upset that I didnt put it in my tank.

My quarentine tank is only 10 gallons so I plan on upgrading to a 20 or 30 gallon qt before getting any new fish. I think keeping a salinity of about 1.019 and some copper in the water will take care of this. Shame it hit so fast, this velvet stuff is no joke.

macman7010 said:
It was a gift and I didnt want the person who got it for me to be upset that I didnt put it in my tank.
I know this is easier said than done but next time say no. Better one fish than your whole tank 8)

I think keeping a salinity of about 1.019 and some copper in the water will take care of this.
Just to clarify, the slightly lowered salinity does not affect the parasite at all. It helps reduce the stress of the fish and aid in keeping it's appetite healthy. Hypo conditions have zero affect on velvet.

Glad to hear you regularly QT (y)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom