Marine velvet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rnl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok i need some info on ow to treat marine velvet properly . Right now i have my fish in a just bought today QT. learned my lesson qt first :banghead:But now am giving them copper and marycyn plus is this an ok combination . And any info i could use about what do i need to check for or do i need to do water changes weekly . My bottle of copper was given to me and doesn't have the pamphlet . Thank u in advance . I really don't want them to die.

If you have correctly identified the disease as velvet, you should not need to use Maracyn. What is the brand name of copper you are using?

Since this is a new tank, you'll need to closely monitor nitrite and ammonia. Be prepared to do water changes frequently to kep these as low as possible. If you have a foam block or filter media you can transfer from the diplay to seed the new tank, this will help greatly. (NOTE: do not move it back to the display once treatment is complete as it will be contaminated with copper.)

Unfortunately, most salties (myself included) learn the need for QT just like you did - the hard way.

Rutrag said:
If you have correctly identified the disease as velvet, you should not need to use Maracyn. What is the brand name of copper you are using?

Since this is a new tank, you'll need to closely monitor nitrite and ammonia. Be prepared to do water changes frequently to kep these as low as possible. If you have a foam block or filter media you can transfer from the diplay to seed the new tank, this will help greatly. (NOTE: do not move it back to the display once treatment is complete as it will be contaminated with copper.)

Unfortunately, most salties (myself included) learn the need for QT just like you did - the hard way.

Sorry for the late reply . Had internet issues. Thank u for the reply . Am about 99 percent sure it is velvet my fish have all the symtoms and my damaels coloration started fading and they had a velvety sheen on there head. Before i dignanosed the velvet my wife purchase 2 false perculas and put them in the tank i have since put them in qt and treating with cooper mardel brand. Right now am keeping the level of copper at 2 ppm is ghis a good level or should i adjust it. Thank u very much.

It should be between 1.5 and 2 but I would go to the low side rather then the high side.

tonedogz said:
It should be between 1.5 and 2 but I would go to the low side rather then the high side.

Thank u tonedogz am running it to high. Am going to do a partial water change Thank u

I feel your pain as I have a tank that was infected with Marine Velvet. I currently have my display tank void of any fish and am keeping it that way for 60 days. And treating QT with copper. We had about 20 fish and lost all but 4, it is a evil disease. Another thing to keep in mind if you don't already know, is all items (such as dip nets, air hose/stones, ect..)used in your QT should not be used for your display tank as they can pass the disease back into your display tank. Check out mrsaltwatertank he has a pretty good video about marine velvet.

Thank u for your fast responses. It does really suck having the DT empty but thats what i get for jumping in without doing my homework so to say. But am very determined and not going to give up. One other question i have 10 nirite snails and 1 emerald crap and 1 turbo snail in dt with a pulsating xenia and 1 frogspawn coral. Do i need to add ammonia to tank to jeep my bio- filter alive or do u think that i should be fine with what i have

Thank u for your fast responses. It does really suck having the DT empty but thats what i get for jumping in without doing my homework so to say. But am very determined and not going to give up. One other question i have 10 nirite snails and 1 emerald crap and 1 turbo snail in dt with a pulsating xenia and 1 frogspawn coral. Do i need to add ammonia to tank to jeep my bio- filter alive or do u think that i should be fine with what i have

I did not add any ammonia to my tank. And all is fine. I just added my fist fish back into my display tank a few days ago and everything in the tank is very healthy and happy. Crabs are a lot happier as there is more food in the tank now that there are fish in it, not many scraps for them to scavenge for with no fish in the tank.

Keep an eye on your parameters. My understanding is that BB populations stay in check with the amount if fish you have in your tank. If you've had none, it has probably lowered over the last couple months. Suddenly adding four fish could cause spikes.

Back
Top Bottom