Medications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Before I start my tank, I'm going to get a stock of meds in case anything happens.

Seachem's Paraguard seems to treat just about everything from Ich, to Finrot. They also say it shouldn't be harmful to inverts as it doesn't contain copper (I'll have a blood shrimp and a few hermit crabs in my 10g).

I know that hyposalinity is the best option for ich, but I'm guessing some of you have used Paraguard in your main tanks before - if so, does it sort ich etc. out and is it good?

Thanks for any help guys.

To be honest, the absolute best thing for your fish, and your wallet, is to just use a QT. Just about every medication is going to be hard on the fish as they are basically a mild poison that isn't quite strong enough to kill the fish, but is strong enough to kill parasites, etc. Also, even when you treat many diseases, and they "go away", they tend to reappear long after you think the problem is kicked in your main tank.

A good QT is the cheapest, safest, easiest way to treat diseases in fish, and ensure that you never get disease in your main tank.

Keep in mind some meds do expire. I would wait untill we can diagnose a problem then you can purchase the proper meds. I 3rd the QT, as well.

I have tried many of the meds, most are just money spent on nothing. That being said, never used paraguard. The best medicine is pick a healthy specimen, keep great water quality, keep a balanced diet for your fish, and yes. QT....

Back
Top Bottom