Messed up and got a wild maroon clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay179

Aquarium Advice Regular
I acclimated the fish for 3 hours and placed him in my 75 gallon tank. Initially everything looked ok. The next morning I found ich all over him. I do not have quarantine tank nor do I have the money to buy any tank right now. Currently I only have two damsels in the tank. Can I medicate him without having to use a quarantine tank. I read the warning signs with wild maroon clownfish and still got one. He looked fine at the pet store. All of my water parameters and salinity are at correct levels. Please need help!!

Ich on my new maroon clownfish.

I acclimated the fish for 3 hours and placed him in my 75 gallon tank. Initially everything looked ok. The next morning I found ich all over him. I do not have quarantine tank nor do I have the money to buy any tank right now. Currently I only have two damsels in the tank. Can I medicate him without having to use a quarantine tank. I read the warning signs with wild maroon clownfish and still got one. He looked fine at the pet store. All of my water parameters and salinity are at correct levels. I have a 75 gallon fowlr tank setup. Please need help!!

The only med that will kill ich is copper. If you use copper, your tank can not have any live rock in it or any sand in it.

You can get a 10g tank for around $12 at walmart. Or you could get a plastic bucket + some ich treatment. Id put him in a bucket and then use some copper based medicine.

Matt

you can medicate your tank. get some marine max it is the best stuff every non copper based. i used it on my tank when i got my humu humu. he is wild to. so just get that and med your tank as directed

IME those medications do not work. Never seen any of them do anything. The only two I have seen work are copper and hypo. Both of them need to be done in a QT.

IME those medications do not work. Never seen any of them do anything. The only two I have seen work are copper and hypo. Both of them need to be done in a QT.

As long as he doesn't have any corals or inverts in his tank, he can do hypo right in the DT can't he?

The only med that will kill ich is copper. If you use copper, your tank can not have any live rock in it or any sand in it.

Actually, Chloroquine will kill Amlyoodinium, Cryptocaryon, and Turbellarians. The trouble with hyposalinity, from I've heard, is that Velvet seems to spread much more quickly. Double-edged swords these beasties are, getting more difficult to kill even with medications.

Thanks for the responses. Update on my maroon

When I came home from work, I noticed the spots were gone and he was swimming around the tank. I am thinking it could have been sand or I was just seeing things. He has been fine the last couple of days. I have noticed he does go after the food when I put in but he always "spits" it out. I am not sure if hes eating .

Before you rule out ich wait a day. The spots might come back. Ichs life cycle is different then most diseases. The ich will esentially fall of the fish, breed in the sand, and produce more ich and you will have more ich in the tank the next day and it will latch back onto the fish.

I noticed something on Tuesday morning after I acclimated him.

I haven't noticed anything since. Is there a possibility the fishes immune system could have gotten rid of it.

Clowns like a lot of other fish will spit out food and then ingest the smaller pieces, so that is pretty normal. Your fishes may have an immunity to ich, but any new fish would be open game. If that was not ich count yourself luck and invest in a QT as soon as you can muster up a few bucks. That would be responsible fish keeping.

I think it would have just been sand, Ive been in the same situation. Where i go, "OMG ich!" 2 hours later, White spots gone.
Ichs a pretty long process too, It will stay on the fish for about 3 days before dropping off into the substrate and multiplying.

Back
Top Bottom