Missing Pistol Shrimp and Goby... Help???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Agatheron

Aquarium Advice Regular
About a month ago, we bought a Tiger Pistol Shrimp and a Barber Pole Goby from the LFS. They seemed to adapt to tank life rather well. Initially they created separate burrows, but within about a week they paired off nicely. The Pistol Shrimp was very industrious, digging furiously and moving lots of sand about the aquarium. The Goby seemed to like the burrows that were dug, and I could always see his face peering out from one of two spots in the aquarium. Almost two weeks ago, the Pistol Shrimp seemed to disappear, no snapping sound, no movement of sand. I could see the Goby, so I thought that maybe the shrimp was moulting. However, since then, the Goby has disappeared. I saw the Goby at evening feed on Monday, but have not seen it since. As such, I have not seen the pistol shrimp in nearly two weeks, and I have not seen the goby in 4-5 days. I am concerned. The rest of the tank is doing very well. I tested water levels yesterday, and pH was 8.2, and Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate were all 0.

My concern is that these two have accidentally buried/trapped themselves under the rock and sand. I continue to look for them at feeding times, but still no luck. My concern is growing with each day that I don't see either one.

At what point do I presume that they are dead? After that, should I consider getting another pair? Any advice?

Did you place your rock before adding your sand? Was there anything in the tank, like egg crate, to help support your rockwork? It might be that the rockwork colapsed and crushed/trapped them. If the pistol has been gone for 2 weeks it's dead. The goby probably has followed, but you'd be surprised. Check your overflows and around the tank too.

The rock came after the sand, and no we don't have egg crate, I'm afraid. I had made sure the rock on the bottom was pushed down to th glass when we did our initial aquascaping. my concern is precisely as you suggest, that something collapsed on the shrimp, pinning it under the rock. I last saw the goby on Monday evening, but not since. I can usually see it peering out from one of two hides holes. Even shining a red led flashlight down the holes reveals nothing. Even so the goby is pretty small and good at hiding.

Today is water change day. I'll test the levels again as I normally do.

My question is, if both are dead, should I try the same combo again, and if so how long do I wait? I presume their remains are somewhere under the rocks decomposing and producing ammonia, but water tests have shown all levels at 0. If they are dead, any suggestions on why my levels aren't showing any movement?

Is it worthwhile to get another pistol shrimp and another goby?

Sorry bud, the shrimp is probably gone. I placed three peppermint shrimp in my tank a few months ago, and now there is one. The other two vanished after a week or two, never found a trace, think the wrasse ate them. Funny, he has befriended the last one :p little guy gets gutsy now swimming around mid day with the wrasse.

Back
Top Bottom