More problems since the move.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well it's pretty much been nothing but problems since I moved my 110g to my 200g. I lost 2 acro's to RTN about a week after the move and have lost one since with 2 more on the way out. The two on the way out start of dieing at the base and just spreading up. I have no idea what is going wrong but everything tests out great.

Amonia/nitrate/nitrite 0
CA 430
ALK 7.8(a little low but slowly raising it)

Today my yellow tang went missing that was nice and fat for probably 4 months now. There is nothing that could have killed him in the tank...the only possible thing is a bright red/orange serpent but I can't imagine there is anyway he could have taken down the much larger tang. I also lost a teardrop maxima a few days back.

This hobby is really becoming much more of a chore and hassle than it is fun :cry:

When you moved the tank did you transfer the sand bed? If so what condition was the sand bed in when you moved it? Where there dark patches in the sand? Any distinctive odors of rotton eggs?

I had a 5-6" DSB that I did not transer.

I"m thinking maybe part of the problem could be my macro algae. I had some cateo(sp) in a bucket for a few days while I set my fuge up. It smelled pretty bad when I added it to the fuge but it was still green and seemed ok. I just thought maybe it was the detrius on it that could have smelled. Since then I remove almost all but a handful or two.

I don't understand why eveythingelse is doing greaty. All my mushroom, soft corals, zoo's and the a few SPS corals seem to be opening and doing great..... it's just really frustrating to keep loosing things 4 weeks after the move :(

Did the upgrade involve new/different/stronger lighting? If there's any big change to the lighting, many corals need some acclimation.
Just a thought.
Matt

I added a 400w MH to the center but have not been running my lights for the full time to allow everything to acclimate. I pretty much kept al the coral under the 250's and planned on moving them slowly under the 400w mh. If anythign they are probably getting a little less light.

It sucks. When I did my tank switch I lost a small staghorn frag a day after. Wasn't happy about that at all. All my other SPS werent affected. I ditched the old sand bed only keeping about 1/2 cup of it to seed my new sand.

I expected to loose a couple things in the move....but I didn't expect to keep loosing things 4 weeks later :roll:

When will it end? I feel like I have the worst luck possible with this hobby

I'm with you jamal...I'm having problems and I didn't even move. If I didn't have bad luck I'd have none at all.

Hopefully it'll all turn around for the better tomorrow!

I feel for you Jamal-188. Since moving my tank in Dec., I've had a few issues myself-lost a cleaner shrimp, an SPS, and I have been dealing w/ cyano :roll: Keep your chin up....You'll get over this :wink:

PC:
My parametere are all great I didn't experience a spike that i know of when I moved the tank. The small fish load I have and teh amount of live rock should have more than made up for the new sand bed I would have thought.

MT79:
I'm sure I will get over it...it's just really frustrating that everything was going so well before the move and now I've probably lose $300 or so in corals and fish. It just feels like everytime the tank is doing great some disaster is just waiting to happen. :roll:

The good news is nothing has died in a few days(knock on wood) although my piece of superman danae is not looking the best :x

Back
Top Bottom