Mushroom looking rough in spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OscarFan76

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have a mushroom in my tank that parts are not looking good. I have a 40g breeder tank with 2 t5 bulbs and a 250w metal halide. I have had the mushroom 3-4 weeks and it has been doing great until the last few days. It is very wilted looking on a couple of polyps. I noticed they had little white spots/rings on them before wilting. I think at least 1 polyp is gone from the rock.

Changes recently:
1.I found a blue bristle worm last weekend. He is still in there.
2.i have seen snails on the mushroom a couple of times. I removed a big snail from it but he held on for dear life.
3.im battling hair algae I picked up from a live rock. Hence all the snails. I reduced the lighting from about 12-14 hours a day to around 8-10. I've cleaned all the algae a couple of times. It is looking better.

Livestock in the tank: green emerald crab, a bunch of snails/hermit crabs, 1 small dottyback fish, and a blue bristleworm apparently.

Could it be the worm or the snails? Other ideas?

Tank params: 0 ammonia, 0 trites, 0 trates on my test kit, ph 8.2-8.4. I don't have a calcium kit but added a booster 1 time a few weeks ago.
Temp 78 in the sump.

Thanks for the help.

It sounds like your mushroom doesn't like it's spot, could be flow or light. They will detach and float around the tank till they find a suitable spot then reattach. They will also do this if crowded.

Mushrooms also like "dirty" water. They tend not to do as well in pristine water with 0 nitrates and phosphates.

Thanks for the responses. This is my first coral so I really hope to keep him alive.

I will try moving him around the tank to see if another spot is better.

As for more trates, I guess I can over feed the dottyback one day haha, but the cuc will probably take care if it before it breaks down.

I just need more fish. ;). That is what I will tell my wife haha.

Nah, not a good idea to overfeed. Best to keep your water as clean as possible and let the shroom adjust etc.

+1 on getting more fish!

The mushroom is looking great again after relocating it to a lower light area of the tank.

Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom