My clown is sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkeeling06

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my tank has been set up since august of '08...mostly the husband takes care of it, but I've been given the job of finding out what is wrong with my clown. We woke up this morning to our clown having one swollen eye...the last new thing we added was a sea hair to help control our hair algae and that was about a month ago...The clown was our first fish and she survived a 1 month hurricane evacuation with us...I'm very attached to her...any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 34 Red Sea Max

Attachments

• small_001.jpg
    small_001.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 78
  • small_002.jpg
    small_002.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 104
I'm not a fish disease expert, but I've always heard that bulging eyes were signs of bacterial infection. Regardless of what it is, I'd get a quarantine tank up and cycling/running, if you haven't already.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice... even though it's too bad you couldn't have come for better reasons!

Your clown has pop eye. Pristine water conditions will help greatly. Let`s see what your water test results are? It`s critical that you do frequent PWC`s to get your water "perfect" or close to it. You are not using tap water are you?

Pop-eye (Exophthalmia) is usually caused by poor water quality or infection, whether it is bacterial, parasitic, or systemic. A broad spectrum anti-bacterial medication usually does the trick, such as Nitrofurazone, Minocycline (Maracyn 2), or even Enrofloxacin (Baytril).

That is pop eye but it can be caused by a poor water condition in your tank but if your quality is good you will be okay. If they are good it is from fighting. That is how my six lined rasse was about a week ago i thought i was going to loose his eye because i couldn't even see peuple of eye but now it is perfect.

This is an old thread now, but just in case somebody else comes across it. I have experienced this on my Bartletts Anthias before. Its eye was popping out and it was hiding in a cave for a week. In my tank, I think it got pop eye from bumping into a rock or something which scratched the eye and got infected. My water conditions were pristine. I say leave it in the main tank, don't stress it out by catching it and putting it in a new tank. IMO that will only make things worse. Make sure you water parameters are pristine condition and just keep feeding healthy and wait. It should clear up on its own. My Bartletts did clear up and I though for sure he would be a goner.

Back
Top Bottom