My clowns have "ick"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

naplesbaitman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Or marine ick or whatever you want to call it. Either way, it started a couple of days after I got them. The smaller one has it the worst and I fear he is not long for this world. The bigger one seems to be doing alright. Water parameters are good and none of the other fish are showing symptoms. They aren't scraping on the rocks but they are very lethargic.

I have two major problems with treating them. One, I don't have a qt tank. And two, I can't treat with copper because the tank they are in is full of inverts as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions or am I just going to have to scrap the tank?

Its a 20 gallon tall tank. FOWLR.

Ur gonna need to buy a qt tank just go to Walmart get one for like 10-20$
Then u gotta lower salinity in qt
U can get in depth details on how to online for sure
Hope that helped

I don't think you'll be able to use a qt tank. You can try a couple fresh water dips from what I understand they can be very effective. you can try that avenue but too much will cause it to die as well.

Why would he not be able to use a QT? Go buy a 10g, some pvc pieces (to hide in) and a small powerhead and get the fish in there. Leave the invets in the DT. Trust me, it will cost less then will be lost on dead fish over time in this hobby.

Freshwater dips will not get all of the Ich. I have never seen anything that states otherwise. It's better than cleaner shrimp or cleaner wrasses, but none of that works. Hypo or copper in a QT works. Nothing else.

Why would he not be able to use a QT? Go buy a 10g and a small powerhead and it will cost less then will be lost on dead fish over time in this hobby.

Freshwater dips will not get all of the Ich. I have never seen anything that states otherwise. It's better than cleaner shrimp or cleaner wrasses, but none of that works. Hypo or copper in a QT works. Nothing else.

I may be wrong. I was always told they need to cycle. Given that he already has it, it may be too late to start a QT

Nope. Ideally you have a filter or even a piece of sponge that has BB in it that you can move from your DT into the QT... that basically adds the bacteria to help with biological filtration. I still would watch the parameters. Some people store their QT in the garage and pull it out for emergencies. Throw water in, plug everything in and get the fish in there. Again, watch parameters either way, just like you would your DT.

Don't use hypo or copper in your DT, but in QT, that is what has been scientifically proven to work. Nothing else kills Ich.

Nope. Ideally you have a filter or even a piece of sponge that has BB in it that you can move from your DT into the QT... that basically adds the bacteria to help with biological filtration. I still would watch the parameters. Some people store their QT in the garage and pull it out for emergencies. Throw water in, plug everything in and get the fish in there. Again, watch parameters either way, just like you would your DT.

Don't use hypo or copper in your DT, but in QT, that is what has been scientifically proven to work. Nothing else kills Ich.

See haha.. didnt know that

+1, and be sure to treat ALL the fish not just the one you have a problem with. You will need to leave the display tank fallow for at least 6 weeks.

I may be wrong. I was always told they need to cycle. Given that he already has it, it may be too late to start a QT

Yes and no, they do need to cycle but as long as there is a fish/host in the tank it will never go away. The tank needs to be fallow for a minimum of 6 weeks

Yes, treat all fish or it is almost pointless. The others will likely be a host and the cycle will continue.

Having the QT cycled is nice because the parameters will stay in check better, but water changes can work.

I'm not sure how many people keep a QT running all the time. I've always just had it in the garage and set it up for new additions or sick fish. I keep a big piece of sponge in my DT system and throw that in for BB. I am in the process of setting up a hexagon tank that I was using for freshwater as a permanent QT, so that will be nice.

Can you throw in some pieces of cycled live rock from your DT into the QT for BB ??

Can you throw in some pieces of cycled live rock from your DT into the QT for BB ??

I would not, the QT should consist of all smooth surfaces so the parasite can not attach itself and continue its life cycle. It is recommended that a QT use PVC as hiding places and have a bare bottom. It should be void of all rock and substrate. You can use a piece of sponge from display tank for BB just be sure to sterilize before placing back into the display tank.

Back
Top Bottom