my lawnmower blenny died :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulweck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I got home tonight ny girlfriend was looking in the tank and noticed my lawnmower laying at the bottom of the tank. I seen him last night and he seemed fine. I wasn't really home today to notice that he wasn't doing good. When I took him out the tank his belly was real fat and bloated looking.

Has anybody seen this before???

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111020_010938.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111020_010938.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 161
  • ForumRunner_20111020_010956.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111020_010956.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 214
I put green seaweed in once a week and a algae sheet twice a week. Also he's was picking at the rocks and glass allot. It was a total shock they he died he looked like he was fine. It makes me so mad he was one of my favorite fish

Thanks for the reply guys. I wish I could pinpoint the source of the problem. Right now all I have to go on is stress. But he seemed happy. I've down some research and read that it is a infection that blocks the intestine not allowing his waste to pass through. I tested my water last night and everything was fine.

The same thing happened to my first blenny. After looking around it seemed like the food I was feeding didn't have enough algae in it. When I got my second one I feed formula two first thing in the morning and then in the afternoon I feed frozen food. I noticed the second one seems to be doing a lot better.

In my experience they really dont eat the dried seaweed. They will eat the micro algea in a tank like hair algea. Was there any of that there in the tank. If not they are famous for starving to death once the algea runs out. They are very hard to get to eat other foods. Not saying that happened but I have seen this many a time.

I guess I am lucky in the food regard as my lawnmower eats everything I put in the tank, pellets, flake,clipped algae, frozen mysis and brine, everything....

did your blenny eat anything besides algae do you know?

I have some hair algae in my tank but it not much. He was eating the the algae and seaweed off my clip. He would sit the and attack it at times( it was fun to watch) I haven't seen him ever eat anything else and I feed my other fish a mix of new life pellets and frozen misys shrimp and freeze dried brine shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom