My little bubble tip wont eat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krazycricket21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a small bubble tip anemone and worry because it isn't eating what i feed it. :banghead: I am doing something wrong. The light is proper, it should be eating... but it isn't. It sucks in whenever i add food.
Can you help?

:thanks:
~Anna

I wouldn't worry, if you have the right lighting you don't need to feed it, it gets all it needs form the light ;) got any pics? Is it new to the tank? I have two nems and never feed them, although I am sure they pick up something's when I feed the tank...

Here are two pics from today. I have the best lighting (i believe). When i see food hit its tentacles it seems to shrink into nothing to get away from it. Is that normal?

It is about a week old in our tank. We have a little camel shrimp and our two clowns.

Attachments

• P1220888.jpg
    P1220888.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 139
  • P1220896.jpg
    P1220896.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 150
What kind of lights do you have? I still think you don't need to feed it at all, hopefully it moves to a spot where it is in more light though!

The other one is eating awesome now. He just loves octopus!!!

Does anyone know what the lighter one is called besides BTA?

Attachments

• IMG_5320.jpg
    IMG_5320.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_5325.jpg
    IMG_5325.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 135
Not the best picture but you get the gist. Are all three of these bubble tips? The LFS here says they are but they look so completely different. The newest one is olive green with neon green stripes and a pink tip. The clear/white one has green and orange tips but no bubbles and the first one i bought is green with long tentacles with white and red/pink tips (they look like eyes) and white marbling around the base of the tentacles and mouth.

Attachments

• P1010775.jpg
    P1010775.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 130
They all look like bubble tips to me, the white one doesn't look too good. Did they choose inside the shells? I can't imagine they are getting all the light they need in those shady spots, I would keep an eye on that. Despite the name bubble tips are not always bubbly, some have longer stringy bits. You are also rocking some killer aptasia, have you tried getting rid of it?

I just cut down on the aptasia (i kinda like the little buggers). I asked about the white one when i saw it at the LFS and when i went back (2 weeks later) it was still looking the same so i bought it. Now i have been reading about bleaching and such. Any tips? I never see it eat. The two chose those spots on their own. I set them in the sand and they moved tot he shells. Should i move them?

It should come back around and colour up if the conditions are right. What kind of lights did you say you had? How old is the tank? If the water parameters are stable it should start to recover. As for nems in the shade is it possible to turn the shells upward? Don't move the nem itself but try and tilt those shells so they can get some flow and more light.

How long have you had the white one? As mentioned, it's not doing very well. The gaping mouth and lack of color are things you don't want to see.
What size food are you trying to feed them? It's quite stressful for an anemone to digest large pieces of food.

I was given this tank about a month ago then had to move it to another house. Before that the tank had been set up for about 3 years. The lights are LED Marineland, the previous owners said it was high power and made for coral. I tilted the shells (the fish are quite pissed at me) and the white one moved towards the center of the tank and the other two are just chillin where i left them. The one still in the shell is eating smaller than dime size chunks of fish. The one in the middle eats the same. I have tried to feed the white one the same size and it doesn't eat it. I then tried mysis/brine shrimp and it seems to grab them then release them.

Attachments

• P1010790.jpg
    P1010790.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 94
  • P1010785.jpg
    P1010785.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 56
I was given this tank about a month ago then had to move it to another house. Before that the tank had been set up for about 3 years. The lights are LED Marineland, the previous owners said it was high power and made for coral. I tilted the shells (the fish are quite pissed at me) and the white one moved towards the center of the tank and the other two are just chillin where i left them. The one still in the shell is eating smaller than dime size chunks of fish. The one in the middle eats the same. I have tried to feed the white one the same size and it doesn't eat it. I then tried mysis/brine shrimp and it seems to grab them then release them.

I'm sorry to say you've been duped. The marineland LED lights are not strong enough to sustain anemones. That fixture has trouble keeping some soft corals alive in a deep tank.

I would return your anemones if possible or upgrade your light.

So i can't return the anemones (i'm in Japan). What light would you recommend?

The tank is about 20 gallons (give or take) and the light is 14 inches from the sand.

So thanx to you guys the little white one is already starting to look better. I found a little LED battery powered light (for power outages). The white/clear has already started to turn green after 3 hours of the new light being taped to the front of the tank. I could still use some help with buying a new light for the tank.
:dance:
Thanx again guys!

:thanks:

Oh i know that the battery powered LED is not a forever thing! I was just really excited that it helped the little guy right away.
:fish1:
Is that light a good permanent light for the tank? I only plan on having the clowns with the anemones.

Back
Top Bottom